Replacing the filter in the supply ventilation: selection features + filter replacement instructions
Many residents of large cities are faced with the problem of dust, which gets into the apartment during ventilation. She settles on the windowsill of an open window, furniture, becomes the cause of allergic reactions. To eliminate the likelihood of it getting into the house will help the installation of forced ventilation with a filter. It will provide sufficient airflow without having to open windows. A filter will prevent dust and other small particles from entering the apartment.
But for the system to function without interruptions, a periodic replacement of the filter in the supply ventilation is required. The information below will help you figure out what filters are, how often they need to be changed, and how to do it right.
The content of the article:
Types of filters for the ventilation system
Cleaning the supply air helps prevent dust, soot and small debris from entering the living area. It is relevant in the city, for residents of houses located in industrial areas and next to busy motorways.
Even when the owner does not consider it necessary to thoroughly clean the air before entering the apartment, the filter is installed to protect the system itself from the negative effects of the external environment. Its presence will increase the cost of maintenance, but repairing the ventilation will be much more expensive than buying filter elements.
Before proceeding with the replacement of filters in the supply unit, it is important to understand what they are. Models differ from each other not only in cost, but also in features of functioning.
By design, they are:
- Pocket. Filters combine high dust absorption with relatively low safety, durability, and resistance.They are resistant to fire, easy to operate, and do not cause problems with disposal. Their design resembles pockets attached to a frame.
- Panel. Such filters are often made of polyester fibers. They are used in production, in everyday life. They provide high technical indicators, are practical, they cope well with the delay of dust and small particles.
- Filter bags - have a high pick-up ability, they can easily cope with the delay of solid particles of different sizes and even gases, therefore they are often used in production.
To clean the air entering the apartment, general-purpose filters are used.
Filter elements are divided according to the principle of operation, degree of purification.
The main groups include the following types:
- HEPA filters.
Next, we consider in more detail these varieties.
View # 1 - mechanical filters
Mechanical filters are designed to clean the air entering the apartment from sufficiently large particles. This can be dust, insects, animal hair, other moths, the size of which is 50-10 microns. A feature of large particles is the ability to accelerate equipment wear and tear, costly fine filter elements.
Mechanical filters are available in almost every ventilation system. Some of them should be disposed of after use, however, there are more and more models that are easy to clean and reuse.
View # 2 - oil products
Oil filters are a grid made of metal, polymer fibers, impregnated with synthetic oils.
This provides a higher degree of air purification, since small particles adhere to the oily surfaces that could slip through the mesh fence.
View # 3 - coal models
Carbon filters are able to clean the air not only from mechanical impurities, but also from harmful vapor impurities, unpleasant odors.
Similar models are used only in conjunction with products that provide rough air cleaning - grease traps. The absence of additional filtration will lead to the fact that the pores of coal will quickly clog. This will make his work ineffective.
The advantage of carbon filters is a high degree of purification, which is combined with the affordable cost of replaceable elements.
View # 4 - sponges
Sponge filters provide air purification using the materials of the same name used in their creation. Polyurethane foam, sponge rubber are pre-treated to increase pore area. They are easy to clean, so they can be reused. Sponge models very efficiently remove dust, so they are used not only in everyday life, but also in medicine.
The minus of such traps is narrow specialization, since they do not hold anything apart from small particles.
View # 5 - HEPA Filters
HEPA filters, like coal traps, are always used in conjunction with pre-installed coarse cleaning systems. Depending on the design features, they are able to delay the smallest dust particles that carry allergens, pathogenic viruses, plant pollen. Reducing allergic attacks, the number of viral diseases associated with the processing of the filter surface with special chemical compounds.
The scope of HEPA filters is very wide. They are used wherever cleaning is required for allergens, spores, dust, and other small air pollution. Catchers are made of special paper, synthetic fibers.
The cost of fine filters is much higher than simple mechanical traps. However, they will help not only to detain dust, but also to reduce the incidence rate, to get rid of unpleasant odors coming from ventilation.
More information about the types of filters for ventilation we have given in next article.
In order for fresh air to turn into clean air during the intake process, it is important to correctly organize the filtration system.
The main criterion when choosing a trap is the degree of air purification:
- Rough cleaning - will ensure the capture of particles up to 10 microns in size, which will get rid of dust, protect the ventilation system.
- Fine cleaning helps to remove particles up to 1 micron in size, get rid of unpleasant odors.
- Ultra Thin Cleaning - This type of filtration will help keep the room sterile, remove up to 99% of suspended particles. Dust particles with a size of 0.1 microns will not be able to overcome such a barrier.
The most effective solution is a cascade of several catchers.
When creating a system, consider the following points:
- Selected filters can be installed directly in the central ventilation. However, prior to installation, preparatory repair work will be required.
- Usingsupply valve using additional filters will be difficult. The only thing that the design provides is a small grate that protects the apartment from debris and insects.
- Individualventilation in the apartment allows you to use those filters that owners consider necessary.
For urban residents, the filtering system has become an important component of life support.
Before buying equipment, it is important to decide on the task that it must solve, choose the appropriate level of cleaning, determine what pollution it should cope with.
When do I need to change filters?
The frequency with which the filter should be replaced in the ventilation system depends on how well the equipment is selected. Compared with an open window, a valve in the wall, forced ventilation provides more intense air exchange.
Thanks to the use of filters, less dust gets into the apartment, it becomes possible to exclude the penetration of pathogenic bacteria, allergens that enter the living room together with spores, pollen from plants.
During operation, the filters become dirty, their use efficiency decreases sharply. As a result, the static resistance increases, much less air enters the apartment than is stipulated by the standards. This applies not only to individual supply systems, but also to general ventilation equipped with recuperator.
Professionals recommend replacing the filter elements at least than every six months. For the city, the frequency of filter replacement is every 3 months, provided that the apartment is located in the inner part of the courtyard, and every month, when air is taken from the roadway.
To reduce overhead and not to replace fine filters too often, it is recommended to install coarse dust traps in addition.
Timely replacement of filters allows you to extend the life of the ventilation.
To evaluate whether a dust collector is needed, the following methods should be used:
- Automatic control - the more the filter becomes clogged, the more noticeable the pressure difference in the different sections of the supply ventilation. Upon reaching a critical indicator, a signal is given. Information on the need to replace the filter appears on the controller panel. It can be displayed as text or a lit indicator light.
- Visual control the user carries out independently. He inspects the filter, decides to replace. Over time, you can schedule. Experts say that scheduled filter replacement is a better solution than installing a new trap after it is completely contaminated.
When calculating the filter replacement terms, it is important to consider the height of the apartment. The higher the floor, the cleaner the air. Accordingly, the filters will have to be changed less frequently.
When scheduling, it is worth considering the season. Snow is considered a natural filter that attracts dust, so filters get less dirty in cold weather.
In addition to dust raised by the wind, in the summer it is important to consider the presence of flowering trees. For example, poplars, whose fluff is able to quickly clog the filter. As well as other plants whose pollen causes allergies.
Regardless of the type of filter element, it is important to update and clean dust traps in a timely manner. An experienced specialist can determine the degree of pollution, so users should strictly adhere to the recommended schedule for replacing elements.
The purifier replacement procedure consists of the following steps:
- dismantling of the old product;
- air duct cleaning;
- installation of a new filter;
- fixing seals, gaskets.
A simple operation will allow you to constantly enjoy clean, fresh air.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Summing up, it is worth noting that the process of replacing the filter is quite simple. It’s easy to study the procedure in detail by watching the video.
To ensure the supply of high-quality air to the apartment, it is important to correctly organize the filtration system. The best solution is a combination of products designed for rough and fine cleaning. To ensure their effective operation, it is important to timely service the ventilation system, periodically replace or clean the filter elements.
What air filters do you use? Share your experience with using filter elements with other visitors to our site, and talk about the pros and cons identified during the operation of a particular type of filter. Ask questions, participate in discussions - the feedback form is located below.