How to turn on the warm air on the air conditioner? Guide to activating heating
You must admit that the heating system in our houses is not perfect, and you often have to heat the room on your own. Not all owners of air conditioners know that the equipment can be used not only for cooling the air, but also for heating it. In this article, we will tell you in detail how to turn on warm air on the air conditioner.
You will also learn the principle of operation of the air conditioner in heating mode, the rules of operation of the equipment, the advantages and disadvantages of its use in the winter. As a bonus, we will tell you what to do if, after all the manipulations, the air in the room does not heat up.
The content of the article:
- Features of the air conditioner for heating
- Which air conditioner to choose for heating?
- Installing the winter kit for the air conditioner
- Permissible temperature for heating operation
- Inverter models of air conditioners
- How to set the air conditioner for heating?
- Why does the air conditioner not work for heating?
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Features of the air conditioner for heating
In our country, air conditioning is rarely used to heat a room. It's all about the climatic features, in particular, the famous Russian frosts.
The compressor suffers from low temperatures, compressing the refrigerant, which is distributed in parts of the device. Oil dissolved in it is used to lubricate rubbing parts. In the cold, it thickens, and the equipment parts wear out quickly.
At low temperatures, the water in the drainage tube freezes and a plug forms in it, which blocks the condensate outlet. In this case, excess moisture seeps into the room through the inner case, which leads to equipment breakdown.
After installing the air conditioner for heating, the refrigerant must heat up. However, this does not occur due to low temperatures. As a result, the cooled refrigerant, which did not have time to heat up, enters the compressor, which leads to a hydraulic gift. As a result, the device becomes unusable.
To heat the room in the off-season, you can use a simple split system. Most often, this option is used during the period when central heating has not yet been turned on, and the house is cool and damp. Air conditioning heating is more economical than most heaters (with the same energy consumption, more heat is produced).
Models with a heat pump are suitable for year-round use. Air enters the external unit, where it is heated. Then, through freon, it is redirected to the indoor unit, from where warm air enters the room.
The main advantage of using an air conditioner to heat a room is its energy savings. In heating appliances, the conversion of electricity to heat occurs at the rate of 1: 1.
In air conditioners, electricity is not converted. It is spent on the transfer of thermal energy. To obtain 1 kilowatt of heat requires 250-350 watts of energy, which is 3-4 times less than the consumption of a standard heater.
Indispensable air conditioning with heating function and in the offseason. Using the air conditioner, you can heat the air in the room to a comfortable temperature, and since there are no frosts yet, nothing threatens the device.
The disadvantages of heating the room with air conditioning are few. One device cannot heat air in all rooms. Like other heating appliances, air conditioning dries the air.
Which air conditioner to choose for heating?
If you plan to use an air conditioner not only for cooling the air in summer, but also for heating in the cold season, then you should choose a model with an inverter compressor. Since the equipment will be operated in a wide temperature range, a prerequisite is the smooth adjustment of compressor performance.
It should also be borne in mind that the device should be designed to operate at temperatures of -20 —25 C.
Only in this case, you can be sure that the manufacturer has provided all the components for work in the winter:
- fan speed control in the outdoor unit;
- the presence of a defrost mode;
- special compressor design;
- crankcase and compressor heating;
- anti-corrosion heat exchanger, etc.
Conventional models air conditioners for home or apartment they can also heat the air, however, their operation is allowed at temperatures up to -5 C. However, do not forget about the opportunity to "strengthen" the equipment by installing a winter kit.
Installing the winter kit for the air conditioner
Standard models of air conditioners can retrofit winter kit, which will allow to operate the equipment at low temperatures.
The package consists of several devices that:
- warm up the drainage system;
- prevent refrigerant supercooling;
- prevent thickening of the oil.
The basic principle of operation of additional equipment:
- The temperature sensor allows you to adjust the speed of rotation of the fan located in the outdoor unit. When the temperature decreases, its speed decreases. This avoids thickening (freezing) of the oil and icing of the housing.
- Heating of the compressor crankcase, so the device is always ready to start.
- Heating the drainage system so that ice plugs do not form and efficient condensate removal is carried out.
It would seem that a solution has been found.However, it was not there. Installing a winter kit allows you to turn on the air conditioner at lower temperatures set by the manufacturer, only for cooling.
The winter kit is most often installed in rooms that are undesirable to ventilate, but must be cooled. For example: server and computing centers, where for the safety of the equipment it is necessary to maintain the optimum temperature.
The principle of operation of the air conditioner for heating is extremely simple - heat is absorbed during evaporation, and its evolution occurs during condensation.
In order to understand how the equipment heats the air, you need to understand how it is cooled:
- In a gaseous state, the refrigerant enters the compressor.
- Under pressure, it is compressed and heated to a high temperature.
- The refrigerant flows from the compressor to the condenser and goes into a liquid state.
- The refrigerant pressure decreases and it is redirected to the evaporator of the indoor unit. Here he again goes into a gaseous state.
- The refrigerant “boils”, as a result of which the air in the room is cooled. The collected heat is "thrown out" to the street.
- The gaseous refrigerant is returned to the compressor. The cycle closes.
In heating mode, the condenser and evaporator are interchanged. This is made possible thanks to a special valve that reverses the flow of refrigerant.
Permissible temperature for heating operation
Most often, most split systems operate efficiently at temperatures below -5 ° C. With more severe frosts, the efficiency of the equipment decreases and there is a risk of icing of the drainage system and condenser.
The lower permissible temperature limit depends on the type of refrigerant. Some air conditioners also heat the air efficiently at -15 ° C. In severe climatic conditions, inverter models are used in which the intensity of the compressor can be controlled.
Inverter models of air conditioners
Inverter air conditioners can be used all year round. Their distinctive feature lies in the way the compressor is controlled. With decreasing temperature, performance decreases to the required indicator by changing the speed of the electric motor.
Energy efficiency ratio inverter air conditioner - 5. This means that you will get 5 kW of heat by spending 1 kW of electricity.
Disadvantages of inverter air conditioning systems:
- high price;
- significant weight of the outdoor unit;
- sensitivity to power surges;
- more complicated repairs.
- fast achievement of the set temperature;
- almost silent;
- it is impossible to turn on the device at temperatures below permissible.
Constant operation of the equipment (without periodic on / off) can save up to 30% of electricity.
How to set the air conditioner for heating?
Before you turn on the conventional split system for heating, you should make sure that this option is provided in the equipment.
Stages of connecting the air conditioner to the heating via the control panel.
- Connect the equipment to the mains.
- Press the on / off button once. Most often, it differs from other buttons in color.
- Press the Mode / Heat key or the button with the image of a droplet, sun, snowflakes. After the image of the sun appears on the display.
- Set the desired temperature.
Warm air will begin to flow after 5-10 minutes.
Using the remote control, you can adjust the position of the blinds and the fan speed.
Steps for connecting the air conditioner to heating using the buttons on the device itself:
- Connect the equipment to the mains.
- Click on on / off. The button is located on the indoor unit or under the plastic panel. By a short press, the modes change (from cold to warm). A long press turns off the device.
- The temperature can only be adjusted using the control panel.
A more detailed guide to turning on the air conditioner for heating is in the instructions.
Why does the air conditioner not work for heating?
First of all, make sure that this option is provided in selected climate device. If outside the window is freezing temperatures, the cause may be a compressor breakdown, freezing of oil or drainage system.
Another cause of the malfunction may be a refrigerant leak. This occurs as a result of poor adhesion of inter-unit tubes. Call a service representative who will correct the problem and charge the refrigerant.
After air conditioner installation clean filters in time. If you ignore this requirement, then damage can not be avoided. To accurately determine the source of the problem, you need to pay attention to the display screen, which displays the error code. The value can be found in the instructions.
If 15 minutes after system startup air heating has not started, try reinstalling the settings. To do this, read the instructions in how to set the air conditioner to warm air again. Repeat all steps again. Then turn on the system again and check its operation after 15 minutes.
The reason for the lack of heating may be an insufficient amount of freon. In this case, contact the service department.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
How to turn on the air conditioner in heating mode:
Most models of air conditioners will have to be tight in winter in the harsh climatic conditions of our country. The price of devices that can work in extreme cold is biting. Using an air conditioner, it is advisable to heat a small room, as well as operate the equipment in the off-season. For complete heating of a large house or an entire apartment, it is better to purchase a heater or a heat gun.
What climate technology do you use to create favorable “weather in the house”? Or maybe you have experience setting up the air conditioner for heating? Share your stories and tips in the comments.