How to independently connect a washing machine: step-by-step installation instructions
To install a washing machine, it is not necessary to call a wizard. After all, his services will cost a lot. A detailed briefing explaining how to independently connect a washing machine will help to correctly carry out all the necessary manipulations with minimal financial costs.
We will talk about how to install and connect household washing equipment with your own hands. The article we presented describes in detail the process of unpacking, aligning and connecting the unit to communications. Based on our advice, you can flawlessly carry out all the work.
The content of the article:
- The procedure for connecting the machine
- Stage # 1 - choosing a place for installation
- Stage # 2 - Preparing for Installation
- Stage # 3 - leveling the washing machine
- Stage # 4 - connecting the machine to the water supply
- Stage # 5 - Sewer Connection
- Stage # 6 - connection to the electric network
- Stage # 7 - test inclusion
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
The procedure for connecting the machine
To start the operation of the washing device, it is necessary to choose the optimal place for its placement. Then prepare the washer for connection work.
After that, it will remain to correctly perform the following steps:
- align the device, giving it an optimal position;
- connect to the water supply for the intake of water necessary for washing;
- connect to the sewer to discharge water when implementing a given program (washing, soaking, rinsing, spinning);
- connect to the mains to ensure the supply of electric current, which drives the motor of the unit.
Next, we will consider in detail all of the above steps.
Stage # 1 - choosing a place for installation
First of all, you need to think about the place where the unit will be installed.Modern models that require a connection to the water supply and sewage systems have a stationary location, since their transfer is very difficult.
Rules for the location of the washing unit
For the correct location of the washing machine, the following requirements should be considered:
For the optimal location of the machine, factors such as:
- available near water supply and sanitation systems;
- the ability to easily connect to the mains (preferably not through an extension cord, but directly);
- the presence of a flat (preferably reinforced concrete) floor;
- washing machine sizes, a method of loading laundry into it, a side of opening the hatch for front models;
- free access from all sides: in addition to easy loading of linen, it is important to have a gap from the side of the wall so that you can get accidentally dropped linen or another object.
In practice, washing devices are usually placed in the bathroom, in the kitchen or in the hallway.
Determination of the room for installation
Bathroom. This is a traditional place for the machine, since in this room, which has all the necessary communications, it is easy to equip the drain and water supply.
The disadvantages of this option are the miniature size of most bathrooms, which is why owners often have to choose compact models.
In addition, such spaces are characterized by increased humidity, which can affect both the state of the wiring and the serviceability of the various components of the “washers”.
Kitchen / dining room. This room is also often used to mount the unit, which is usually installed under the sink or next to the sink. Since this room is usually also small in size, washing here sometimes interferes with the hostess.
In addition, the temperature and humidity conditions in the kitchen also do not always comply with the operating rules of washing machines.
Entrance hall and utility rooms. An unusual, but quite acceptable option may be to install an automatic device in the hallway, closet, utility room or even a spacious wall cabinet. The only obstacle in this case may be the lack of easy access to communication systems.
Future performers of the washing machine installation should consider:
Stage # 2 - Preparing for Installation
The purchased machine is delivered to the apartment in packaged form. All rotating parts are fixed with fasteners (bolts, bars, brackets) that protect the device from accidental damage during transportation.
The brought washer should be freed from the box, and then deal with the removal of the fixing parts:
- Staples must be removed from the back of the unit, which are set for the stiffness required for the transport of household appliances. Similar elements also hold onto the flexible parts of the structure, namely the hose and electrical cord.
- Following this, remove the bars.embedded between the tank and the housing of the device. To do this, just tilt the washer forward slightly.
- Bolts should also be removed.which are installed on the front of the machine for fixing the drum. It is better to immediately insert plastic plugs into the holes from the removed elements (they are usually included in the model kit).
Released fasteners must be carefully packed and put away for storage: they may be needed when contacting a service representative.
Stage # 3 - leveling the washing machine
That the automatic machine served with maximum efficiency, to installing and connecting the washer should be approached with utmost care.
Particular attention is required to the floor base, which must meet a number of criteria:
- strictly horizontal surface;
- strong structure;
- protection against vibration and other influences inevitable during operation of the unit.
If the foundation does not meet these criteria, it is better to take measures for their implementation.
In addition to evenness and reliability, the base for installing the washer should also have anti-vibration properties. If you have to put on a tiled or wooden floor, then the whole process is best done using devices that dampen vibration:
On fragile surfaces, it is desirable to make a cement-sand screed or to strengthen the existing floors in the place of the proposed installation of the washing device.
After making sure that the base meets all the previously mentioned requirements, you can proceed with installation. The fully unpacked machine with the fasteners removed is placed in the selected place.
The top panel determines the horizontal position of the installation, while the deviation angle, which is checked on the top cover, should not exceed two degrees. Exceeding this indicator leads to a sharp increase in vibration, which very negatively affects the condition of the nodes and significantly reduces the service life of the machine.
It is strictly forbidden to place improvised materials under them that can slip out from under the supports during operation. This can lead to an emergency. At the same time, it is allowed (and even recommended) to put a rug of thin rubber on a sliding tiled surface.
As soon as the machine body is perfectly horizontal, tighten the locknuts counterclockwise, fixing the optimum height of the support legs.
When leveling the machine, it is recommended to consider the following factors:
- The greatest degree of stability of the unit is achieved with the maximum screwed-up adjusting supports, however this option is permissible only with a perfectly flat surface.
- When installing the machine on an inclined floor for fixing the supporting structures, it is advisable to use fixing parts.
- To check whether the unit is installed correctly, you need to try to swing it diagonally. If the process is done correctly, there is no free play or its amplitude coincides for different diagonals.
After making sure that the unit is in the correct position, you can proceed to the next steps.
Stage # 4 - connecting the machine to the water supply
The most complex and critical part of the installation of a machine is connecting it to a water supply system.
To perform a competent connection, you should:
- Assess the location of the unit to select the connection method, on which the selection of hoses, fittings, and fittings depends.
- When determining the required length of flexible pipes, it is important to consider that they should be placed behind furniture and plumbing fixtures so that they do not interfere with walking.
- As a rule, hoses are supplied with the machine, but their size is often insufficient. In this case, it is better to purchase extension cords that facilitate laying.
- The necessary elements for connecting to the water supply is also a ball washing machine tap or valve, the choice of which depends on the features of the wiring.
Usually, the connection is made on a straight section of the pipeline, in this case a tee or a process of the pipe is used, to which a flexible connection from the toilet tank is attached.
Let us consider in more detail all the steps to connect the machine to the water supply network.
Preparation of materials and tools
To connect to a metal pipeline, you will need gas and adjustable wrenches, as well as gaskets - FUM tape or combed linen. It is better to give preference to the latter, since it swells under the influence of moisture.
If we are talking about an insert to the internal water supply system made of polymers, you will have to use special equipment for soldering plastic pipes, a calibrator, as well as special fittings designed for plastic and metal plastic.
Having prepared everything you need, you can proceed directly to connecting the washing machine to water.
Hose to the washing machine
First of all, connect the supplied or separately purchased hose directly to the unit.To do this, put the filter on the end of the hose - its convex edge should be directed towards the outlet of the washing machine.
Then you have to tighten the nut in the place of attachment of the hose to the device. Tightening is done manually, using keys is undesirable.
After that, it is possible to start connecting the machine to a source of water. In this case, several options are possible.
Connecting an "automatic" to the toilet tank
The easiest and fastest way to connect the washing unit to the water supply, which has become widespread. Instead of complicated installation operations, it’s enough to take a few elementary steps, accessible even for a beginner.
To connect you need:
- remove flexible eyeliner from the process of the pipe;
- screw fitting tee;
- connect to it a flexible eyeliner from the tank and a hose for supplying water to the washer through a valve or shut-off valve.
Unfortunately, this option cannot be used when installing the washing device in a separate bathroom or kitchen, since the automatic unit and the toilet should be in the same room, preferably at a small distance from each other.
Hose connection to the mixer
A popular option is also to connect the washing unit to the mixer, which can be used in almost any room.
For this method, a special version of the tee is required, the design of which provides for an installed ball valve. This part is installed in the space between the cold water supply branch in the mixer, the cold water supply to the same part.
This method is reliable and simple, but it has a significant minus, since the hose with which the plumbing is connected to the washer is always in sight. You can hide it by arranging a box with subsequent tiling.
Subtleties of a pipe insert
Connecting the machine to communications made of metal-plastic or polypropylene can be carried out almost anywhere. To do this, it is enough to cut the pipe by installing a metal tee in place of the cut, thanks to which it is possible to carry out a communication branch to the washing unit.
One of the easiest and most convenient options for connecting the washer to the sewer outlet is to connect its hose to a special siphonequipped with a telescopic side fitting. In this case, it is enough to put the outlet hose on this “branch”, picking up the required diameter on it.
The following steps must be taken to complete this operation:
- cut the pipe;
- measure the fitting (tee) parameters;
- cut off a piece of pipe corresponding to the adapter;
- attach a connecting ring with a nut;
- using a special tool - a calibrator - flare the ends of the pipe at the points of connection with a tee;
- put the pipe on the fitting fitting;
- push the O-rings at both ends, then tighten the nuts firmly.
It is better to screw the shut-off valve to the adapter in advance, before the start of the insert. This will avoid damage to a sufficiently flexible metal-plastic pipe.When the tee is connected to a screwed-in tap, flexible water hoses are attached.
If the apartment has a plastic pipe installed, you will need a complicated version of connecting the washer. In this case, to perform installation work, not only special fittings are needed, but also a special tool that allows you to solder pipe fasteners with adapters.
Here, a tee is installed on the cold water supply pipe, to which a hose is connected through a shut-off valve to supply water to the “machine”.
Connection to water supply in any place
In some cases, it is convenient to connect the washing device in a specific place in a straight pipe. To perform this operation, you will need a special adapter - a coupling saddle, which is a clamp from a clip with a threaded outlet.
You can purchase a similar element in specialized retail outlets, while it is important to pay attention to the diameter of the fitting, which must match the size of the pipe.
The adapter firmly fixed to the desired fragment blocks the flow of water. After that, a hole is drilled through the saddle nozzle. A valve (ball valve) is screwed onto the outlet of the coupling, which is used to connect the hose supplying the washing machine with water.
For greater comfort during operation, it is also possible to connect an angle crane to the unit.
The nuances of using a washing machine without running water
The functioning of automated washing machines is possible in the case of water supply under pressure. Lack of plumbing in a private house or at the cottage does not mean giving up the usual amenities, because in this case you can use an alternative solution.
To use a modern machine, it is enough to raise a volumetric water tank to a certain height (at least one meter), to the bottom of which you need to connect a hose leading to the appropriate branch of the unit. Water should be added to the tank in a timely manner.
Stage # 5 - Sewer Connection
Connecting the washing machine to the sewer system allows you to solve the problem of draining dirty water, which remains after washing.
This can be done using different schemes:
- Temporaryby using a special hose routed to the toilet or bathtub.
- Constantinvolving a stationary drain.
The first method is very simple: water is drained through a hose attached to the edge of the bathroom, toilet or sink, which can be done using special fixing elements.
In the second case, two options are possible. Drainage is carried out using a siphon of a special design, which provides a separate outlet for connecting automatic washing machines, located under the siphon elbow.
It is not worth replacing such a device with a regular analogue, since it will retain the spent water, spreading an unpleasant odor.
The washing machine can also be connected without a siphon. When the diameter of the sewer pipe is 4-5 cm, the branch for the machine machine can be connected directly to this element.
In this case, the S-curved drain hose is inserted into the pipe so that it does not touch the sewage, and then it is carefully surrounded by a sealant and sealed. The distance from the inflection point to the floor should exceed 0.5 m.
The maximum hose length is usually indicated in the instructions supplied with the model. If you select a large part, the load on the pump will increase dramatically, which can lead to unforeseen damage.
If the design of the washing unit does not provide for a check valve, then when installing the model, there is a limit on the height at which the drain hose is located. The manufacturer usually provides specific information in the instruction manual.
Stage # 6 - connection to the electric network
Specific information on how to properly connect the just purchased washing machine to the mains can be found in the instructions. Particular attention must be paid to safety rules, since the device has a high level of power consumption (1.5 - 2.5 kW), and also comes in contact with water.
As a rule, to connect a washing machine with your own hands, you need a three-wire outlet in which there is a phase, zero and a carefully insulated ground wire. The switchboard is grounded by using a special bus with a cross section of at least 0.3 cm.
When connecting, it is advisable to follow a few recommendations:
- The best option - an individual power supply. In this case, the washing machine is powered from the distribution panel by a separate input, and the electric power is supplied through additionally laid power cables. To prevent wires from spoiling the interior, they can be placed in neat plastic boxes.
- The use of specialized electrical protection devices. In addition to the obligatory circuit breakers, it is recommended to additionally mount the machine’s power supply line residual current device (RCD).
- Strict compliance of all components of electrical circuits with requirements/ technical / operational specifications. For wiring, it is important to use three-core cables, while the cross-sectional area should exceed 1.5 sq.cm.
- Connection of the socket according to the schemespecified in the instructions. It is important to comply with the prerequisite - the presence of protective grounding. The connection of the wire is mandatory to the grounding bus of the distribution panel.
- Connecting the conductor to heating or plumbing communications is strictly prohibited, since this can lead not only to the failure of the machine, but also to the creation of emergency situations.
- It is better to give preference to sockets with IP44-IP65 when choosing models that have a high degree of security; preferably, they have a lid that protects against moisture, and a ceramic base.
- Extension cords, tees and adapters should be avoided. when connecting a washing machine: inevitable in this case, additional connections can provoke an increase in temperature in the contacts, which leads to breakdown of the unit.
It is undesirable for the machine outlet to be in rooms with constant high humidity. If there is enough length of the electric cord, it is better to place the power supply device in an adjacent space, for example, a corridor.
Stage # 7 - test inclusion
Having completed all the work described above, it is necessary to verify the installation, starting the washing machine in turn to work in all modes.
To do this, you need to inspect all the assembled nodes, and then conduct a test run of the machine without laundry, during which you need to pay attention to the following options:
- the period of time (it should be short), during which the tank is accumulated;
- lack of leaks;
- the correct functioning of the drain;
- uniform rotation of the drum;
- good spin;
- full heating of water, which is carried out after 5-7 minutes at the end of the set of water.
There should be no extraneous sounds at all stages of the unit.
It is possible to independently install and connect to communications not only a washing machine. We suggest that you read the instructions for mounting a dishwasher. The step-by-step guide offered by us will render effective assistance in independent work.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
The presented video explains in detail the process of connecting the unit to the water supply, electricity and sewage.
If it became necessary to connect the drain of the washer to the wash basin, then the detailed video instruction can be seen in the following video:
The subtleties of connecting the washing equipment to the sewer and the water supply system with your own hands without involving the master are discussed in the following video:
Just following the detailed instructions, which step by step describes how you can connect the washing machine to all communications with your own hands, it will be possible to cope with the installation of household appliances quickly and easily.
If you have doubts about your own strengths, then it is better to invite the master from the service department.
Tell us about how you installed and connected the washing machine with your own hands. Share technological nuances that are useful to site visitors. please leave comments, ask questions, post a photo on the topic of the article in the block form below.