How to start air conditioning after winter: recommendations for caring for air conditioning after frost
Agree that air conditioning is an integral attribute of any modern room. The service life of air cooling systems directly depends on the quality and regularity of their maintenance. This golden rule applies not only to summer time, but also to periods of severe frost.
In order for the air conditioner to serve you faithfully for as long as possible, you need to properly monitor it. Take into account the subtleties of the operation of HVAC equipment in the winter.
So how to start the air conditioner after winter and do I need to take care of it in the period of subzero temperatures? We will try to give detailed answers to these and other questions in our article.
The content of the article:
Rules for turning on the air conditioner after winter
In order for your climate technology to last as long as possible, you need to follow the advice of manufacturers and carry out regular preventive and HVAC equipment maintenance.
Prevention, in this case, means cleaning, proper operation in the summer season, observance of the main parameters of the temperature regime and timely filling of the air conditioner with freon.
The main question that concerns many users of climate technology is how to make the air conditioner last for a long time and how to turn it on correctly after winter. To do this, you will have to comply with several recommendations, compliance with which will help extend the life of the equipment.
The operating manual for HVAC equipment always contains comprehensive information about the basic rules for using the equipment. The permissible temperature limits on the street, at which you can turn on the air conditioner without affecting its performance, depend on the design features of the system itself.
At the moment, manufacturers produce climate technology, which can absolutely fully to heat the room even at extremely low external temperatures. Such air conditioners are often used in large enterprises, in country villas, hotels.
Their price is much higher than average household appliances, however, they fully pay for themselves and are able to warm the air in the room faster than other electrical appliances.
Domestic air conditioners, for the most part, are also used for heating. But, of course, at much lower temperatures. The average temperature for their safe use is from +3 to -5 ° C.
Often, air conditioners are used to air heating during the period of the so-called “off-season” - when it became noticeably colder on the street, and central heating was not turned on yet. In winter, air conditioning that is not designed for frost should never be turned on.
Cleaning and maintenance
The part of the air conditioner that we see is just its outside. In fact, the design of HVAC equipment is much more complicated and consists of dozens of small systems and spare parts.
Long-term operation of the device leads to the accumulation of a large amount of dust in the indoor unit and filters. It is this, most often, that leads to a breakdown of the system or its defective functioning.
Air conditioning should be cleaned regularly (at least once a year). Due to the fact that the design of HVAC equipment is rather complicated, it is better to resort to the services of specialists during its preventive cleaning, but if you have confidence in your own abilities, you can perform maintenance on your own.
You can also clean the indoor unit yourself.
It is very simple:
- open the front cover of the unit;
- remove the filter mesh from there;
- rinse thoroughly, vacuum and dry them;
- reinstall the filters and return the cover to its original position.
This procedure is preferably performed at least twice a month. Cleaning the filters will give you complete confidence that, together with the air flow, you will not inhale the dust that accumulates in the nets to filter the air.
If you do not clean the system in a timely manner, then it will either completely fail or start to work incorrectly.
Pressure and Freon Check
The main source of efficiency and full functioning, both in cooling and heating mode, is freon - a special gas, due to which air conditioning systems and refrigerators work.
Due to the design features of the climatic equipment, an insignificant but regular leakage occurs - on average - 20% per year. This does not mean that you need to call the wizard and refuel your device monthly - just replenish freon reserves before each summer season.
It is categorically not recommended to do this on your own, because Only a qualified technician can reliably measure the pressure and amount of gas in the air conditioner. This requires special equipment and extensive experience in the field of refueling split systems.
In addition, it is important to understand that freon not only needs to be refueled regularly, but also completely released from the system and refilled. This procedure, fortunately, is necessary not every year, but once every few years.
A competent master himself will offer this service, if necessary. Filling with freon is the first step that you need to take before the start of the summer season.
General Health Check
Before starting climate control equipment after downtime during a period of frost, a general check of its performance should be carried out.
A general check refers to the following measures:
- Delta T temperature analysis;
- Checking the health of the device.
Delta T temperature - an indicator of what air leaves the air conditioning grille. It is calculated and measured quite simply, so absolutely anyone can do this.
We measure the temperature of the air entering the device and the temperature of the leaving air, subtract it. The indicator that you obtained is the Delta T of temperature.
Normally, a normally functioning device produces from - 6 to - 11 ° C. Deviations from these standards indicate incorrect operation of the air conditioner and the need to call the wizard.
The compressor functionality, contacts and their oxidation state can only be checked by a professional, and, most often, this option is included in the cost of cleaning the system. But just in case, ask him to evaluate the state of the electronics.
The air that comes out of their air conditioning grilles should be cold - this is clear to everyone, however, accurate indicators of its temperature can tell a lot about the health of the device.
Top 5 Tips for Starting an Air Conditioner
All the necessary information for the owners of household air conditioners fits in just five simple rules:
- Do not turn on the air conditioner without first cleaning the system and filters. Over the winter, a lot of leaves, small debris, small branches, dirt and dust could accumulate in the block. All this can do tremendous harm to the system and your health. Throughout the season, you can independently clean the surface of the external unit. But do not forget that immediately after cleaning it is not advisable to turn on the air conditioner - let it dry completely.
- Before starting the climatic equipment, make sure that the pressure in the system is sufficient and charge the right amount of freon. Otherwise, there is a risk of being left without air conditioning in the peak of summer heat.
- Make sure that when you turn on the air conditioner, the outdoor temperature is not lower than 0 ° C. If you start the device at a lower temperature, then you risk, in the best case, a compressor breakdown, in the worst case, the failure of several parts at once.
- Regularly check the performance of your device - measure the Delta T temperature, evaluate the condition of the electronics and make sure that the remote control is working. When all of the above steps have been taken, check several modes and options (heat, cold, shutter health, ionization function, etc.). During operation, regularly monitor the device and when the smallest signs of malfunction appear, do not hesitate to call the wizard.
- Make sure that there are no objects near the outdoor unit that would obstruct the flow of air leaving it. Also, you should carefully examine its integrity. Often this element of the system is deformed by hail, heavy rainfall, or icing.
This short instruction on the correct operation and maintenance of split systems will help you not to miss anything in the process of preparing climate equipment for the summer season.
In addition, following these simple equipment care rules will extend the life of the air conditioner.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
All about how to turn on the air conditioning for heating:
Basic rules for air conditioning care:
Air conditioning is a huge blessing in the modern world.Many people now can not even imagine their life without these devices, especially in hot weather. But, like all electrical appliances, HVAC equipment needs regular maintenance and proper operation.
You can ask a question about the topic of the article or share useful information regarding the use of climate technology after a period of winter downtime. Leave your comments in the box below.