Care for the hot tub: how to properly maintain the equipment
One of the prerequisites for the smooth operation of the hot tub is to maintain its condition in proper order. The equipment of a plumbing fixture, which is an indispensable assistant, is vulnerable to clogging.
Therefore, so that you can continue to relieve stress and restore vitality in comfortable conditions, you need to learn how to properly care for the hot tub. Such actions will minimize the risk of various problems and breakdowns.
Let's deal with this issue together - the article discusses the intricacies of servicing hydromassage equipment and the features of caring for bowls of various materials. Also, breakdowns that are most often found, recommendations for proper maintenance and the choice of the best disinfectant are given.
The content of the article:
- Common technical issues
- Caring for bowls made of different materials
- Subtleties of cleaning system elements
- Disinfectant Overview
- Simple rules for competent care
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Common technical issues
Hot tub - a complex technical system, equipped with an impressive set of functional tools.
They are responsible for starting and stopping the equipment, stimulate the movement of water, saturate it with air, form a head and still perform a number of various significant actions. More on hot tub We talked in another of our articles.
Along with other types of technology, functional jacuzzi systems need scheduled, and sometimes unplanned, maintenance. Scheduled inspections should be carried out at intervals specified by the manufacturer of the technical system, unscheduled inspections immediately after the detection of a problem.
Signs of the occurrence of an easily removable or maturing serious breakdown include:
- Failure or delay on / off. Technical systems with braking respond when the buttons are pressed, they do not start or turn off.If such abnormalities are found in the work, it is advisable to call a master specializing in the repair of jacuzzi equipment.
- Knocking out traffic jams. Definitely, you should call an electrician for a possible installation and connection of a separate branch of the electrical network for a spa bath.
- Obstructed water flow. A purely plumbing nuisance is a blockage that, if you know the design of the jacuzzi bowl, you can handle it yourself.
- Lack of pressure. If the jets ceased to produce a massage effect, then the nozzles are clogged. To fix the problem, carefully unscrew the cap and remove dirt and sediment from the inner surface with a soft rag.
- Low quality water supply. Occurs due to clogging or malfunctioning filters that should be cleaned or replaced.
Like any plumbing, a hydromassage bath is characterized by all breakdowns occurring due to the failure of mixers or only cartridges. Repair and replacement are carried out according to the standard scheme.
Another type of serious violation in the operation of the equipment is associated with breakdowns of the air compressor and pumping equipment.
Without knowledge and experience in the field of repair of compressor and pumping equipment, it is not worth undertaking troubleshooting. It is better to contact the profile workshop.
For more information about the various breakdowns of the hydromassage bathtub and methods for their elimination, we recommend that you look at our other article.
Caring for bowls made of different materials
The choice of the cleaning method and the use of disinfectants for processing largely depends on the material from which the bowl of the spa bath is made.
If you do not rinse the bath immediately after taking water procedures, the next time it will be unpleasant to sit in a bowl with dried plaque and dirty walls.
Acrylic Bath Service
Bathtubs with acrylic bowls occupy a leading position in the ranking of popularity. They are comfortable, lightweight and withstand mechanical stress. But inorganic rubber polymer is very sensitive to various kinds of damage.
Therefore, when caring for an acrylic surface, it is unacceptable to use metal brushes and other hard materials that leave micro-scratches on it, gradually turning into micro-cracks under the influence of water.
Detergents containing acetone and other types of solvents are not suitable for acrylic care. Abrasive cleaners are not acceptable. They damage and thin coat.
It is best for this purpose to use cream and gel formulations that have a gentle effect. But even they should be used no more than once a week.
If scratches still form on the acrylic surface, you can fix the situation using liquid acrylic. It is applied to the place of damage and polished with a polish until, until the surface acquires a uniform state with the rest of the coating.
To fix scratches, you can also use special “FixltPro” pencils and polishing pastes. But it is worth considering that these funds are effective only on fresh scratches.
More useful information on the best acrylic plumbing care products. look here.
Steel and cast iron bathtubs
The enameled coating of steel and cast-iron bathtubs can be used for cleaning compositions based on abrasive substances. But such cleaning can be detrimental to the condition of the nozzles.
The exception is only those models in which the nozzle valves are closed, which eliminates the clogging of holes during cleaning.
With careless handling of plumbing, scratches and chips may form on the enamel. In addition to spoiling their appearance, they are also a threat to plumbing in general. In humid environments, bacterial colonies may form inside cracks.
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the best safe means to clean the cast iron bowl that will not damage the enamel.
You can eliminate the defect by restoring the enamel in the damaged area. Modern enamel formulations plus the use of bulk methods allow you to restore coatings only at the site of damage.
With extensive chips, surface repair is carried out by sealing first with coarse, and then finely dispersed putty. Only after that the polished area is covered with enamel and treated with polish.
After completion of the procedure, the coating of the bath takes on its original appearance.
Does your bath have numerous chips and scratches? We recommend that you familiarize yourself with bath recovery methods from cast iron.
Subtleties of cleaning system elements
The main difference in the care of the hot tub in comparison with traditional models is the need to clean the surface of not only the tank itself, but also the internal filling of the structure. These are jets and nozzles, inlet pipes and a pump.
Maintenance of hydromassage equipment includes cleaning the surface every few days in combination with the implementation of preventive measures, as well as washing nozzles and pipes.
Surface treatment methods
Before treating the equipment with disinfectants, it is necessary to wash the bowl from grease and dirt with ordinary detergent compositions.
The hydromassage system is cleaned in this order.
- Detergent is applied to the surface in accordance with the instructions on the label.
- Wait for the period specified by the manufacturer. On average, it is 5-10 minutes.
- Wash off the product with jets of clean water.
- Wipe the surface with a dry cloth. For this purpose, it is best to use cotton or bamboo napkins, or microfiber rags. They perfectly absorb moisture without leaving streaks on the surface.
If a self-cleaning system is installed in the hot tub, the disinfection procedure takes place with minimal human intervention.
When dealing with traditional models devoid of a self-cleaning system, preventive disinfection is performed in several stages:
- Fill the tank with water, the temperature of which reaches 20-25 ° C.
- The prepared product is dissolved in water.
- They launch the hydro and aerosystem for 5-7 minutes, exposing the greatest power. In some models, manufacturers, on the contrary, recommend shutting off the air supply so that only water without air masses moves through the pipes.
- After turning off the equipment, a filled bath is left for another 5-10 minutes so that the product dissolved in water fulfills its task.
- Open the drain hole and drain the water. It should be prepared for the fact that along with water, flakes of dirt accumulated in the pipes will begin to flow into the bowl.
- Re-fill the bath above the nozzles, but with cold water. The hydro and aerosystem is launched, after which the reservoir is emptied again.
After such a “bathing” of the tank, the bath will shine and shine, like a new one.
The taps and spout will have to be additionally treated with liquid detergents, then rinse thoroughly with water and wipe dry with a cloth.
If at the time of the general cleaning of the plumbing there is no special product at your disposal, you can use a 7% solution of bleach or Belizna. To process a medium-sized bath, you will need 1.5 liters of this chlorine solution or 100 ml of White.
But "aggressive chemistry" should be used only as a last resort, since it can harm the internal gaskets of the equipment. To protect yourself during the procedure, you should well ventilate the room.
Prevention of calcareous deposits
Once a year, an additional cleaning of the system for the prevention of lime deposits should be carried out.
If the care of the hot tub was irregular, and water stone accumulated inside the equipment, the following measures will help to rectify the situation:
- Fill the bathtub with water so that it covers the nozzle openings.
- Take the finished product or prepare a 7% solution of citric acid. To process the entire surface will require up to one and a half liters of the prepared solution.
- The solution is mixed with water in the bath and the system is started. During initial cleaning, the system should work for at least half an hour. In the future, performing routine cleaning, the duration of the system may not exceed 10-15 minutes.
- The tank is left filled for 12 hours, after which it is emptied.
- The bathtub is re-filled with clean water, the system is started for 5 minutes, after which the tank is emptied.
If after cleaning the tank it is noticed that dirt is coming out of the nozzles, they should be disassembled and cleaned separately. To do this, remove the decorative ring and unscrew the metal cap of each nozzle. The holes are cleaned by hand with a cloth dampened with water.
Pipe cleaning is a more difficult task. After all, the hydromassage system is a tangle of corrugated polymer tubes of different diameters. Remove the tubes in strict accordance with the instructions that came with the equipment.
Dismantled pipes are cleaned under high pressure without the use of special detergents. If washing with water does not help, use a long dense wire, on the end of which a piece of gauze is wound.
In the event of a malfunction of the hydromassage mechanism, it is most likely that replacement, nozzles, water collectors, or a hydro or air compressor will be required. In order not to aggravate the situation, it is better to entrust this work to professionals.
Does your bath equipment need expensive repairs, the cost of which is comparable to buying a new bath? In such a situation, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the recommendations for choosing a spa bath.
The range of cleaning products on the market is quite wide. For acrylic surfaces, you can use products of domestic manufacturers such as "Acrylite", "Santech" and "Acrylon".
The compositions of Triton Acrylic cleaner, Sif Cream, imported, also perfectly cope with the task.
Caring for a bathtub with hydromassage equipment should be more thorough than in the case of an ordinary bathing tank.
This is due to the fact that high humidity and sufficient temperature are favorable conditions for the propagation of various kinds of microorganisms, which can be dangerous to human health.
The development of colonies of fungi and bacteria can provoke the manifestation of obstructive bronchitis, allergies and even asthma. Information on how to get rid of fungus in the bathroom is described in detail in another our article.
Cleaning clogged whirlpool baths must include disinfection.
For the disinfection of hot tubs are perfect:
- Wonder Woker - A German manufacturer's product easily cleanses the bath of limescale and fatty deposits.
- "Mellerud" - A cleaning and care product from a leading German manufacturer perfectly disinfects the surface, removing all organic deposits from it and eliminating odors.
- Cascade Complete - An American product manufactured by Procter & Gamble does not contain phosphates and easily copes with contaminants due to enzymatic activity.
- Bagi Jacuzzi - An effective Israeli product without a trace eliminates mold, fungus and bacteria.
Over time, persistent deposits accumulate on the elements of the hydromassage equipment, which cannot be eliminated using ordinary household “chemicals”. To remove deposits and eliminate biofilms, special cleaning products are needed.
Among the funds from the professional series, you can safely use:
- Triton Desinfectant - the disinfectant perfectly removes water stone and rust, and also kills fungi and prevents the growth of bacteria.
- "HG" - a drug made in the Netherlands contains only natural ingredients: lactic acid, tea tree oil.Thanks to this composition, it hygienically cleans the system of organic residues and debris particles and does not pose a risk to human health.
- "Edel Weiss" - the drug is available in the form of a concentrated gel, the active substances of which do not contain abrasive components. They well remove organic impurities from pipes, qualitatively cleaning the entire internal system.
After use, most preparations create a special thin film on the surface that prevents rapid contamination, leaving the treated surface clean and disinfected for as long as possible.
Simple rules for competent care
The hot tub is not as demanding and capricious as it might seem at first glance.
She just needs proper and timely care, which consists in observing five simple rules:
- Before installing the equipment, carefully study the operational characteristics of the equipment. For some models, a cold water pipe outlet should be provided for the installation of an electromagnetic valve. Most models require the installation of a water pre-filter. To provide free access for preventive measures, think in advance about a convenient place for the placement of plumbing.
- In order to extend the life of the nozzles, use water filters that will catch small particles that contaminate the holes. Turn on the hydromassage system only if the nozzles are completely covered with water. Otherwise, the unit engine may burn out.
- When taking a session, do not use oils, lotions and foaming agents. They are able to clog the hydromassage system, forming a precipitate in the pipes. Accepting water procedures, be guided by a rule "at first we enjoy a hydromassage, then we receive foamy pleasure".
- When bathing, use only sea salt and those additives that have a corresponding mark on the possibility of use with hydromassage systems.
- Avoid getting any varnish on the surface of the bath (even for hair).
If, due to hard water, the hydromassage system is quickly contaminated, it is worth considering the option of installing devices to soften it.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
A video with the rules and recommendations for the care and cleaning of the whirlpool bowl:
Adhering to the simple rules given in our article, you can not only maintain a presentable appearance of plumbing, but also extend the life of the equipment.
This is the first time you want to wash a hot tub and don’t know where to start? Ask your questions in the comments to this article - we will try to help you.
Or have you been a happy owner of a hydromassage bathtub for a long time and do its job well? Tell us what dishwashing detergents you use and how to disinfect the equipment - your secrets will be useful to many users.