How to choose an oil heater: tips for customers and an overview of the best options
It does not matter if you live in an apartment or in your own country house, heating problems can occur everywhere and, as a rule, at the most inopportune moment. And they will have to be resolved in an emergency. If you do not want this problem to be taken by surprise, you should take care in advance to buy a reliable heat source.
From the article we presented, you will learn how to choose an oil heater. For future owners of the device, we have given all the criteria that influence the determination of the best model for you. Taking into account our recommendations will exclude and prevent all possible errors.
The content of the article:
- How is the oil heater arranged?
- The principle of operation of the oil heater
- Additional Features Noteworthy
- Key selection criteria
- Calculation of the power requirements of the device
- Features of operation and care
- Review of the best models
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
How is the oil heater arranged?
As you might guess, the radiator is the most important part of any oil heater. It is made of ferrous metal. The wall thickness of the radiator is 0.8-1 mm. All components of this product must have exact dimensions, therefore, laser cutting of metal is used during cutting.
This technology allows you to make the edges of the parts even and smooth. Small radiator elements are made by stamping, and bending equipment is used to perform right angles.
Since we are talking about a heating device in which oil will be poured, it is necessary that its sections are absolutely tight. This parameter is achieved by the method of spot micro-welding of individual parts with each other, followed by pressing.
So that the sections can be interconnected, special holes are provided in their design. The radiator is assembled using the reliable nipple joint method, which prevents leakage.
A durable coating is applied to the finished radiator using powder technology, in which the polymerization of the paint occurs as a result of heating in a special furnace.
Mineral transformer oil is a filler poured into the assembled heater radiator. Once in the first oil heaters, oil was filled through a special valve. Now the filling of containers is carried out in the process of assembly of the device.
Without violating the tightness of the device, an electric heater is inserted into it, after which overhead side panels made of metal and plastic are fixed on the outside. The thermostat, overheat protection and power regulator are fixed on the front panel. It remains to connect a cable with a plug to the finished device, which will ensure its power supply.
When a specific place in the room has already been determined for the heater, the wheels with a bracket must be fixed in the lower part of its body. This is done with the help of special fasteners with nuts included in the package.
With the positive and negative sides of electric radiators of all types, including oil devices, will introduce next articlewhich we recommend reading.
The principle of operation of the oil heater
First of all, we turn on the heater in the network, and then we set with the help of a thermostat such an air temperature that will provide a comfortable atmosphere in your room. What happens to the device itself?
The heating process consists of several stages and looks like this:
- first the heater is heated (electric heater);
- from the heating element, thermal energy is transferred to the mineral oil - heat carrier;
- oil warms up the radiator case;
- from the body of the device, as well as from a conventional heating battery, the air in the room is heated.
In fact, heating is carried out in a convective manner. It is believed that the maximum temperature that can be reached by heating the radiator case of the device is 150 degrees.Not all models are capable of burning like that, more often the heating threshold is still lower. But the temperature of the case will not rise above the indicated maximum.
It is recommended to equip budget models without an integrated temperature control system thermostats to the outlet. You will learn how to select and use them from the article recommended by us.
In order for the air in the room to warm up faster, you need to speed up the process of mixing the cold mass with heated streams. For this reason, a number of manufacturers supply their models with fans. Such an oil heater warms up the room much faster.
If your model does not include a fan, you can use your own, with which you fought the heat in the summer. The effect will be the same. A stand-alone fan is good in that it can be oriented to that area of the room in which we primarily need heat.
Additional Features Noteworthy
Advanced models of oil heaters have additional functions that improve the operation of the device, while slightly increasing its cost.
Here are examples of additional features requested by customers:
No. 1. Humidification of air. When using heating appliances, the air in the room is often dry, and additional moisture would be very helpful. A number of electric oil heaters are equipped with a simple device that helps humidify the air.
Usually this is a container, the water in which the owners themselves must fill. When the appliance heats up, the water from the container evaporates, thus compensating for the lack of moisture. If this useful function is not provided in the model, it is advisable to purchase humidifierto maintain the level of moisture necessary for breathing.
Significantly increase the level of comfort humidifier-air purifier. In addition to increasing humidity, this device also eliminates dust suspended in the air - a traditional companion of convective heating.
No. 2. Improving security. If it is cold in the house or apartment, then we strive to increase the air temperature primarily in those rooms where children sleep or play.
For children, a hot radiator is a potential hazard, so it is better to close it with a protective cover. It should be noted that the casing also has drawbacks: it complicates the convection process. However, the safety of the child is worth it.
No. 3. Programming and remote control. If the remote control is included in the heater package, then the device can be controlled from a distance.If the radiator has a built-in timer that turns the device on and off, depending on the degree of heating, then your room will be warm and comfortable without unnecessary expenses for paying for electricity.
You can program the device to turn on half an hour before you wake up, so that the air temperature in the house when you wake up is the most comfortable.
No. 4. Convenience of movement. As a rule, the rollers are included in the basic equipment of the oil heater. To use them or not is the decision of the owner of the device, because he will screw this device to the bottom of the device.
The list of additional elements that radiator manufacturers equip their devices with is not complete. This can be a clothes dryer, and protection mechanisms from overheating and overturning, etc. In any case, it is the buyer who makes the final choice of those functions for which he would like to give his money.
Key selection criteria
Choosing the best heater is a rather difficult task, the solution of which largely depends on the goals that the customer has set for himself. But there are key criteria that I would like to draw your attention to:
No. 1. Technical parameters. The main attention should be paid to the power of the device. This feature will be discussed further below. It is enough to mention here that the power should be interconnected with the size of the room that needs heating.
We need a radiator to create comfort in the house, so preference should be given to a more powerful model. After all, it is very disappointing when, after making a purchase of a low-power model, you continue to freeze. Noteworthy is a fairly powerful product that has at least 2 heating modes, a temperature controller and an integrated thermostat.
No. 2. Section sizes. Geometrically, the parameters of the device also matter. Narrow sections warm up faster, spending less energy on this process, but the total surface area is small. Therefore, the heating of air in the room with their help will not happen too quickly.
Wide sections can be quickly cooled by air, so more energy will be needed to heat them. Choosing the parameters of the sections, you, in fact, make a choice between the speed of heating the room and saving.
No. 3. Weight. Do not buy a device that is too light, while having impressive dimensions. This effect can happen if the metal that went into the manufacture of the radiator is too thin or for some reason there is little oil in the device.
No. 4. Additional items. In the off-season, when it is already colder on the street and it is raining, and we still did not think to turn on the heating, we need to somehow solve the problem of drying clothes. It can not be placed directly on the heater, as on a conventional heating radiator. But buying a device directly with a dryer is an excellent way out. Extra options are better to ignore.
No. 5. Appearance. Any device should not only fulfill the functions assigned to it, but also please the eye. If a designer has worked on the interior of your country house, it will be very disappointing to destroy all his efforts by buying an item that is discordant with the surrounding space.
Moreover, there are plenty to choose from: shops present models of different manufacturers, colors, shapes and sizes. There are neutral products that can fit into almost any interior.
Oil heater - a device that should last you more than one year. When buying it, do not forget to correctly draw up all the documents that will allow you to apply for warranty repairs if such a need arises.
Calculation of the power requirements of the device
If we do not want to overpay for the excess power of the device, we must know our own actual need for this parameter of the radiator. This characteristic directly depends on the volume of the room that needs to be heated.
There is a rule that should be used when calculating the power of the heater any type. It consists in the following: to heat every ten square meters of a room, it will take only 1 kW of energy emitted by your radiator.
Although we called this condition universal, it should be mentioned that we are talking about apartments with ceilings with a standard height of 2.75 meters. How to calculate the need for the power of the device if the ceilings in your apartment are located at a different distance from the floor?
We offer you the following algorithm, which can be used in this case:
- multiply the length of the room by its width, calculating the area of the room;
- multiply the result by the actual height of the room, determining the volume of the room;
- we divide the calculated volume by 25, thus obtaining a value corresponding to the number of kW that will be required for heating our premises.
The division is made precisely by 25, since it is believed that for heating 25 m3 it will take 1 kW of energy.
Summing up the calculations and reasoning, we say that for a standard room, the area of which is close to 20 square meters. meters, a radiator with a power of 1.5 kW will be enough. If the room is larger, you need to choose a more powerful model.
In modern stores, oil heaters, whose power does not exceed 2.5 kW, are represented widely enough so that you can make the choice of such a device that suits you as much as possible.
Features of operation and care
Oil heaters do not need heavy maintenance or special maintenance. To clean the surface of the device, just wipe it with a soft dry cloth.
Abrasive products cannot be used to clean it.
Using this type of heater, some safety precautions should be observed:
- It should not be allowed to operate in rooms where the humidity is increased, unless the devices are equipped with special protection, information about which is included in the product passport.
- The power cord must not come into contact with the radiator case, as high temperatures can melt the insulation of the wire, which is dangerous!
- Operation of the heater can be carried out only when it is located strictly vertically, it cannot be turned over!
- Do not place the heater near electrical equipment or a power outlet!
- When connecting the equipment to the network, you can not use an extension cord, since during operation it can happen overheating and fire.
- The device must not be installed near furniture, textiles or other combustible and fusible materials.
- You should carry the radiator by holding it by the special handle: it is forbidden to pull it by the cord!
- The oil heater cannot be stored on the balcony, in the garage or in the barn, because under such storage conditions it will fail early.
- Do not use the device in rooms designated for the storage of explosive products!
- You can use an oil heater only for the period specified in the passport of the producer.
- If the device is leaking, do not rush to give it up for repair: buy a new one, because fresh coolant will no longer be pumped into the tank, and its amount due to leakage now does not correspond to the declared technical parameters.
I would like to once again draw your attention to the dangers of improper use of this appliance. If you turn on the oil heater, which is in the "lying" position, then its hot oil can break the body and cause a fire. After all, mineral oil does not fill the tank to the top.
When the device is on its side, the heater is partially exposed, which means it is in contact with an oxygen aggressive environment. Following this, the operating temperature of the heating device rises, the coolant begins to burn out.
A deposit will appear inside the walls, preventing normal heat transfer. The device will have to work with increased load, because of which it will fail much earlier than the manufacturer promised.
The operation of the heater is still undesirable when its overheating sensor is faulty. In this case, the heating will not be interrupted when the limit critical temperature is reached. The device will not turn off, but will glow until it burns out.
Worst forecasts promise the occurrence of a fire with escalation into a fire, if no one stops it in a timely manner. A fire hazard can be caused by things hung up for drying on an oil cooler.
The heater can easily overheat and contribute to fire. Foreign objects in the outlet and in the ventilation hole will cause the same consequences. If you listen to our advice, then buy a high-quality and reliable device that will serve you for many years, always helping out when there is a need for it.
Review of the best models
Many domestic and foreign companies are engaged in the production of oil heaters. The most popular products are DeLonghi (Italy), Bimtek (Germany) and General Climate (Holland). This fact does not mean that the products of other producers are bad.
Just listed companies are the best in the world market today. Tomorrow the situation may change.
If we talk about the domestic market, then we suggest you familiarize yourself with the best models of oil radiators, presented in different price categories.
Selection criteria for comparison
To compare the heating devices with each other, we chose the following characteristics:
- safety and reliability in operation;
- case parameters;
- the presence of additional features.
We already talked about power and additional functions above and will not repeat ourselves. Let's talk about the reliability and safety of products.
Domestic market is filled with products made in China. Of course, there are models made together.In addition, Chinese production is most often carried out on the basis of licenses granted by European companies. However, these facts in no way affect the quality of what is on our shelves.
Therefore, we exclude from the concept of “reliability” an argument in the form of the name of the manufacturer, and we focus on functions that can increase the safety of the product in a home or apartment.
As for the parameters of the model’s case, this indicator is of great importance. Indeed, the temperature of its heating depends on the size of the device. If you compare two radiators with the same power, make sure that the one that is smaller is heated first.
But having warmed up, a large surface area remains hot longer. Therefore, the buyer himself will have to evaluate this parameter based on the goals that he planned to achieve.
The best low-cost models
Models are selected based on customer reviews from among inexpensive models, the price of which is in the range of 2300 - 2600 rubles.
The list of leaders in terms of demand is headed by:
- SUPRA ORS-07-SN. This is a small device that does its job well and is not burdened with any extra functions. However, he has everything that is needed: a regulator, a power-on indicator, wheels and a compartment for the cord. SUPRA ORS-07-SN is protected against overheating. This model does not have significant shortcomings.
- Hyundai H-HO1-05-UI550. This model is designed to work in a room whose size does not exceed 14 m2. It is able to play the role of additional heating or can be used for local heating, being, for example, close to the owner’s workplace. The advantage of the Hyundai H-HO1-05-UI550 is its low weight (5 kg), as well as the presence of protection against overheating and frost.
- Timberk TOR 21.1005 SLX. The device has a power of 1.8 kW, but is able, based on the passport data, to heat a room measuring 24 m2. The heater is equipped with electronic controls, declared a fireplace effect. The disadvantages include strong heating of the case, the surface of which can even be burned.
With proper operation, proven models will last as long as the manufacturers promised.
Average price category
If you are willing to spend a little more on organizing a comfortable environment in your home, you can consider several models from the middle price category, in which the cost varies from 3400 to 3500 rubles.
The list of the most popular representatives of the mid-price segment:
- Resanta-OM-7NV. This model will delight aesthetes with its attractive appearance: the gray-blue case of the device is equipped with bright elements. With a power of 1.9 kW, it quickly heats the room thanks to the built-in fan. The pluses include the reliability of this product.
- Polaris PRE M 0920. When you turn it on for the first time, you may feel a faint smell of plastic, which will disappear during further operation of the heater. The device has three operating modes, and it heats so well that you need maximum heating only when the frost comes or when the heating is completely turned off.
- General Climate NY23LA. Let's say right away that there is no timer in the design of the device. This is his only drawback. Now let's move on to the merits. This product with a robust housing is equipped with two heating elements.
The last of the described heater can be used to work in conditions of initial freezing temperature, due to the presence of the frost protection function in it.If you start it in automatic mode, it will maintain a temperature of + 5ºС in the room.
Expensive appliances with extra features
If your finances allow you to buy anything you want, you can purchase one of the expensive miracle devices (price from 3,700 rubles or more), which, in addition to heating, will please you with their additional features.
The ranks of high-end equipment are headed by:
- Electrolux EOH / M-4209. This appliance will quickly heat your room thanks to the fireplace effect. So called increased traction, which is created thanks to special slots located in the radiator body. The heater is equipped with a compartment for the cord, does not emit odors, turns off when overheating.
- Rolsen ROH-D9. This model has only seven sections, but with the help of the built-in fan it quickly heats the room up to 20 m2. It is advisable to use it for additional room heating in apartment buildings.
- Electrolux EOH / M-1221. Although this model does not have a timer, its advantages are great: it can be used fearlessly in rooms with high humidity. If you buy this appliance, you will never have to take a bath in a cold room.
A little more detail on the third model. If the radiator is accidentally knocked over, the device will immediately turn off.
It is protected from overheating, has a fireplace effect and is equipped with wheels that can rotate in different directions.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
In this video, buyers’s attention is drawn to those purchase parameters that we did not consider in this article in order to avoid duplication of information. It will help you not to make a mistake and get what you need.
It doesn’t matter if you buy one of our recommended oil heater models or prefer something else. If you read this article, then you know how to choose and what criteria should be followed in order to understand which oil heater is best for you. Here, guided by these criteria and common sense, you will make the right choice.
Tell us about how you picked up an oil heater for a summer residence / office / apartment. Share what was the deciding factor when making a purchase. Please write comments in the block below, post a photo on the topic of the article, ask questions about interesting points.