How to choose electric heating convectors: what to look at before buying + brand overview
When choosing a home heating system, it is important to choose the right devices that quickly and efficiently heat indoor air. Modern electric heating convectors are devices aimed at maintaining a comfortable temperature in a house or apartment.
They greatly facilitate the operation of traditional heating systems, and in certain cases can even completely replace them.
In this material we will talk about the principles of convectors, share the secrets of choosing equipment and give a small rating of the best devices according to users.
The content of the article:
- The principle of operation and the device of the convector
- Strengths and weaknesses of electric convectors
- What to look for when choosing a device?
- Safety Rules When Using EC
- Tips for choosing an electric convector
- Overview of popular brands
- Rating of electric convectors for heating
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
The principle of operation and the device of the convector
The functioning of the device is based on the convection process associated with a known physical phenomenon: when heated, the air density decreases, as a result of which it expands and rises.
The design of all types of electric convectors is extremely elementary. The main parts of the device are the body and the heating unit located in the lower part of the casing.
Cold air enters the openings located at the bottom of the appliance. When passing near the heater, the air flow temperature rises, so that it rushes up, where there are exhaust openings made at a slight slope.
Warm gas rises to the ceiling, and then, gradually cooling, is nailed to the floor again, after which the process steps are repeated again. The constant movement of the air mass allows you to efficiently and evenly heat the room.
Strengths and weaknesses of electric convectors
Devices have their advantages and disadvantages. The popularity of such devices is explained by their numerous advantages:
- Easy to install and operate. The devices do not require special preparation for work or additional assembly operations. It is enough to free the convector from the box and turn on the device in the network.
- High speed heating. The device quickly reaches the required power, since it does not have to waste energy to heat the coolant.
- Durability. Although the warranty life of convectors from well-known companies is on average 5 years, in practice they can work perfectly for 10-25 years.
- High efficiency. Electrical appliances have the highest efficiency among heating appliances. For new generation models, this indicator can reach up to 98%.
- Mobility. Devices can be easily moved around the apartment, installing them in any place where there is access to a power outlet. There are also models on wheels and options that provide for the possibility of mounting on the walls.
- Affordable cost. Prices for electric convectors are quite budget. In addition, such devices do not require service (removal of fuel residues, cleaning parts), which also contributes to cost savings.
- Safety. Heating devices do not negatively affect the microclimate of the room: they do not need oxygen to work, they do not dry the air. The temperature of the outer shell of the devices does not rise above + 40-60 ° C, so when using them you can not be afraid of burns.
- Possibility of temperature control. In modern models, there is often a special heating control, so that you can maintain the most comfortable temperature in the room, avoiding its excessive increase.
- Various setting modes. Most convectors are equipped with electronic control, so you can set a specific air heating program.
In addition to a large number of advantages, devices have some disadvantages. You should know that for the operation of convectors a stable supply of electricity is necessary. In addition, an outlet should be within reach, as experts recommend avoiding the use of extension cords.
Such devices consume a fairly large amount of electric current, which at the high cost of this resource can be a problem.
At the same time, the high cost of consumed electricity is somewhat offset by the use of a special economical mode, which is provided for in many models, as well as by programming the device to turn off at certain hours.
What to look for when choosing a device?
The problem of how to choose the best electric heating convector is quite acute, since dozens of similar models are presented in specialized stores. The following specifications are especially important.
Type of heating element
In convectors, various types of heating devices are used. The main ones are tubular, needle and monolithic.
Needle. The heating element of devices of this class is a thin plate made of dielectric with a chromium-nickel heating wire placed on it. For insulation, a metal thread forming on both sides of the loop is varnished on top.
Designs with such a device have a low cost, but not too reliable, since the nickel-chromium element is characterized by instantly fast heating and cooling. In addition, the intended type of insulation does not guarantee good protection against water splashes, which is why these devices are not recommended for use in bathrooms.
Tubular heating element (TEN). The most common models are characterized by the use of a steel tube, where a nichrome thread passes in the environment of a heat-conducting insulating material. Aluminum fins located on the heating element enhance convection by providing efficient heat transfer.
Convectors with heating elements have better technical characteristics than needle analogues: the former are less exposed to heating, which is why they are durable.
Many devices have effective moisture protection, which allows them to be used in bathrooms. The disadvantages include crackling, which can occur due to various indicators of thermal expansion of parts made from metals of different types.
Monolithic a heating element. Blocks of a new generation, the action of which is due to the heating of the solid base. Thanks to this detail, the devices are quiet and highly efficient.
Power of electric convectors
The main characteristic on which the amount of heat produced by a convector depends is its power. When choosing a device, you need to keep in mind that 1 kilowatt is designed to heat a room 10-12 m2 (with a standard wall height of 2.7 meters), where there are no other sources of heating.
If there is centralized heating, this power will be enough to heat twice the area, that is, 20-24 m2.
For the correct calculation of power should also take into account a number of other factors.
With the same area of intense heating will require:
- rooms with a large number of windows;
- rooms located at the corners and ends of the building;
- apartments located above the basement.
At convector selection You should also consider which room the unit is designed for. For example, for a kitchen, a device with a lower power indicator is enough than is required for a bedroom of a similar size.
Instrument size and configuration
In the manufacturers' lines, models are available that have a variety of dimensions: the height of the miniature options starts at 15 cm, while the largest convectors can reach 2-3 meters.
Collections include devices of various shapes, in addition to the usual rectangular and square models, you can find round, oval and other non-standard options.
Varieties of installation methods
By the method of use in the room, several types of electric convectors are distinguished.
Mobile and embedded (stationary). Mobile appliances are easily carried around the room within reach of the cord. For ease of movement, models of this type are often equipped with wheels.
Embedded - These are options for convectors that are mounted on walls. A variation of this category are floor built-in optionsused for laying the "warm floor" system. All work on the installation of such devices should be carried out by qualified specialists.
Wall (hanging) also belong to stationary. They are fixed on the walls using special connecting elements.
Universal - devices that allow both installation on the floor and suspension on vertical surfaces, that is, in essence they are mobile.
Instrument Management Principle
Electric convectors are often equipped with power regulators, allowing you to set the degree of heating of the room, which eliminates excessive consumption of electricity.
Modern devices can also have special blocks for programming settings for a long period with an increase or decrease in temperature at certain hours. Such models are more expensive, but can reduce energy consumption.
There are also devices that can be changed using the remote control. In this case, you can monitor the operation of the device from afar, which is, for example, in the children's room.
Special and advanced features
Almost all models of modern heating devices have special temperature sensors. When the maximum temperature is reached, the device turns off. The further algorithm of actions for different options may be different. Some convectors automatically turn on after cooling, while others can only be turned on manually.
Mobile devices may have tipping sensor. In the event of an accidental fall, the device automatically ceases to function. Such a mechanism is especially in demand if there are pets or small children in the house.
Some models have a sensor that provides frost protection of walls. Such a function is especially in demand if the device is planned to be used in countries with harsh climates and in rooms for non-permanent residence.
A useful device may be timer to turn offdue to which the device will automatically turn off at the selected hour.
Modern convectors often have displaywhere the mode and set air temperature are indicated. Such a device facilitates convenient control over the operation of the device.
Safety Rules When Using EC
All types of electrical appliances require compliance with certain safety rules. There are some restrictions for the use of convectors.
- Under no circumstances should the appliance be covered or used as a clothes dryer.
- It is not recommended to place the convector next to an electrical outlet: the minimum distance the device should be at is 0.8 m.
- For rooms with a high water vapor content, device models with IP 24 marking are suitable, indicating a high degree of moisture protection.
In general, modern devices have a high level of reliability and fire safety.
Tips for choosing an electric convector
In addition to objective indicators, personal preferences and specific requirements must also be considered when choosing.
If you have a limited budget, pay attention to convectors equipped with mechanical thermostats. Although they have fewer functions than automatic devices, their cost is much lower, and you will not have to deal with programming instructions.
Also, for automatic temperature control, you can use the thermostat, which is inserted into the outlet.You can read more about these devices in this stuff.
In the manufacturers' lines, models with different characteristics and prices are presented. In order not to overpay, carefully study them and compare with your requirements. So, for example, to heat a small room, you should not buy an excessively powerful device.
If a model with many settings and high technical specifications is sold at a cheap price, you should find out the reliability of the manufacturer and carefully read the documents so as not to purchase a fake.
Overview of popular brands
Models of electric convectors are produced by manufacturers in different countries of Europe, Asia, America.
We will name only a few of them:
- Arbonia. Swiss-German company producing steel pipes, heating radiators, heated towel rails and convectors. The product range of the company is extremely extensive, while almost all products can be purchased in Russia. The proposed models of convectors are very diverse: they have a different shape, color and size. The company also accepts orders for non-standard products, such as angle instruments.
- Buderus. The German brand, now part of the Robert Bosch GmbH concern, emerged in the first half of the 18th century. Initially, the company produced cast-iron elements for the construction of foci, and already from the beginning of the 20th century, it began to manufacture heating appliances, including those operating on electric current. The company produces high-quality high-quality convectors combining high technical characteristics and attractive appearance. In 2012, the company was awarded the Red Dot Award, awarded for achievements in the field of design.
- Kermi. The start of production of this German company dates back to 1960. The company produces various types of products, including showers and heating equipment, but it is convectors, which are widely represented in Russian stores, that are the hallmark of the company.
- Purmo. The company, founded in the Finnish town of the same name, since the late 1950s has been engaged in the production of heating appliances that can withstand the cold climate of the northern country. In the early 1970s, after the company became part of the Rettig concern, production was significantly modernized and automated. Now the company's products are known around the world: they are exported not only to European countries, but also to other continents.
- Zehnder. The Swiss company, established at the end of the XIX century, specializes in the production of high-end products. Her assortment includes heated towel rails, radiators and convectors of various types (ceiling, floor, wall) with a truly "space" design. In addition to serial products, the company is engaged in the manufacture of custom-made models, taking into account the individual requirements of customers.
In addition to the above companies, convectors of the French company Noirot, Norwegian Nobo, German Stiebel Eltron, Roda and other enterprises are popular.
Still can not decide on the choice of convector for the house? We recommend that you read the tips on choosing appliances for heating, which are given in another our article.
Rating of electric convectors for heating
Participants in specialized forums compiled a rating of electrical appliances taking into account the main parameters and operating characteristics.
Electrolux ECH / AG-1500EF
Low-cost mobile model from a Swedish manufacturer, which attracts with high efficiency and speed of reaching operating temperature.
Advantages include a system of protective screens and the absence of air drying. The disadvantages of the device include a simple design and a small heating area.
Timberk TEC PS1 LE 1500 IN
Convenient high-quality apparatus produced by a well-known international holding, whose units are located in Europe and Asia.
An inexpensive mobile model with wheels has two heating modes (one of them is economical), high technical characteristics, as well as many additional functions:
- large area heating element;
- high precision electronic thermostat;
- on / off timer;
- the ability to connect accessories;
- air ionizer.
The drawbacks noticed by consumers are the inexpressive, according to some, design and sound effects (clicks) that are heard when the device is turned on and off.
Noirot Spot E-3 1000
The convector manufactured by France for wall mounting has a nice design, affordable price, high efficiency, as well as a wide selection of settings.
The device has overheat protection, a large amount of memory that allows you to restore settings in the event of a sudden power outage, as well as a special system that counteracts power surges.
Among the weaknesses were a tight mode switch and a not too long cord.
Nobo C4F 20 XSC
Wall model from the Norwegian manufacturer. It has instant heating, it can heat large areas, which will please the owners of large rooms.
Having a nice design, the device has an overheat protection sensor, mechanical adjustment of parameters with the ability to set the exact temperature, ergonomic mounts that allow you to give the device a tilt.
The convector has almost no flaws except for the price, which is quite high.
Scoole SC HT HM1 1000W
The Norwegian portable electric convector has an attractive design. A small model at a budget price is a fairly powerful device that can instantly heat a medium-sized room.
The disadvantages include significant energy consumption, which increases operating costs.
Ballu ENZO BEC / EZMR 2000
A Russian-made model with a monolithic heater has a democratic cost, but at the same time it has high technical characteristics.
The convector, capable of quickly heating a room of 21-25 square meters, has an electronic thermostat, two heat transfer modes, one of which allows you to save electric current, protection from overheating and overturning.
Two mounting options are also provided (the kit includes fasteners for wall fixing and castors for outdoor use), a control unit with backlight and a temperature step of 1 degree.
Important advantages are also comfortable uniform convection, the presence of an off timer, the ability to program modes.
Among the weaknesses, users are distinguished by a not too long cord and insufficiently strong wheels.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
The video contains material on the criteria according to which a high-quality electric heating convector is selected, as well as information on the most popular brands:
Modern models of electric convectors can solve the problem of maintaining a comfortable temperature in the rooms. A correctly selected device combines fast heating time, high power and energy-saving technologies, as well as ease of use.
Are you looking for an electric model of a convector, but you can’t decide on a choice? Or have you been using such a heater for a long time and can share your impressions of its use? Please leave comments, ask questions, share your experience in the block under the article.