Do-it-yourself diesel heat gun: homemade manufacturing instructions
In a short time, vast space can be heated by heat generators and heat guns that can operate on various types of fuel. Such devices are presented in stores, but if you have some technical skills, you can make them yourself. Doubt it?
We will show that a diesel heat gun is easy to assemble with your own hands if the contractor has experience in welding and metal processing.
The article describes in detail how the liquid fuel unit is arranged and works, what varieties are presented on the market. For lovers of homemade products, we have prepared detailed instructions for assembling a simple thermal device. For those who prefer to use factory equipment, a review of the best manufacturers of diesel heat guns is useful.
The content of the article:
- The principle of operation and types of heat guns
- Varieties of diesel heat guns
- Do-it-yourself diesel gun manufacturing
- What to use instead of homemade?
- Safety precautions when using heat guns
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
The principle of operation and types of heat guns
Heat guns, which received their name due to their specific shape, are considered one of the most effective ways to increase indoor air temperature.
The principle of operation of such devices is quite elementary: with the help of rotating fan blades, cold air from the surrounding space is pumped into the unit. Passing through the heating element, the air stream heats up to a high temperature, after which it is pushed into the room and gives off heat.
All units can be divided into two large categories.
- Small in size and power household appliancesused for heating relatively small spaces (basement, garage).
- Large and powerful industrial devicescapable of raising air temperature in a huge room in a short time.
In addition, heat guns differ in the type of fuel used.
By this criterion, the following types of aggregates can be distinguished:
- Electric guns. Environmentally friendly devices operate without smell, noise and emissions of harmful substances. Their disadvantages are: attachment to power grids, as well as the consumption of large amounts of expensive electricity.
- Gas gunsoperating on various modifications of blue fuel are most often used in industries, in agriculture or during construction work.
- Steam guns generate heat, forming a saturated stream of hot steam. Such eco-friendly devices are successfully used in everyday life: they not only heat the room, but also improve its microclimate, saturating it with water vapor.
- Infrared guns. The special design of these devices allows you to convert thermal energy into infrared radiation, with the help of which heating is carried out. Such appliances are often used in open spaces, for example, for heating the terraces of a restaurant or a festive venue.
- Multi-fuel gunsfor the operation of which the cheapest types of fuel are used: used transport or household oils. Thermal guns at workout universal and economical to maintain.
- Diesel guns. They work on such types of fuel as diesel, diesel fuel.
Despite the general principle of operation, each of the above types has its own design features and the recommended scope. A detailed classification of heat guns with a description of their operational features is given in this article.
Varieties of diesel heat guns
Guns of this type are also called liquid-fuel: both diesel and kerosene or diesel fuel can be used as fuel for them. It is strictly forbidden to use gasoline, alcohol and other flammable liquids for refueling such devices.
The choice of fuel must be approached very carefully, since the use of low-quality or contaminated fuel can clog the nozzle and / or filter, which will require the intervention of repairmen.
Diesel guns are distinguished by high power, high efficiency, as well as compact size, due to which such units are quite mobile.
All units operating on economical diesel fuel can be divided into two groups of heat guns: with direct and indirect heating.
Devices with direct heating. The operation is based on an elementary principle: a burner is arranged inside the housing, through the flame of which air passes, pumped by the fan. As a result, it heats up and then breaks out, giving off heat to the environment.
Such devices have a high power of 200-250 kW and almost 100 percent efficiency. They are inexpensive, easy to install, but have an important drawback: not only the warmed air flow enters the outer space, but also the combustion products: soot, smoke, and fire.
Even good ventilation will not be able to completely rid the air of unpleasant odors and tiny particles, and if it is completely absent, living creatures in the room can get severe poisoning.
Device with indirect heating much harder.In such models, air is heated indirectly, through a special chamber - a heat exchanger, where heat is transferred to the air stream.
In such units, the heated exhaust gases, together with the heat, enter the heat exchanger, from where they are discharged into the chimney, to which a special pipe is connected. With its help, the combustion products are removed from the confined space to the outside, providing fresh air in the heated room.
Indirect heated heat guns are often used to heat a garage.
The advantages of such models include:
- Mobility. Although the dimensions and weight of such devices are slightly larger than their analogues with open heating, they are still quite compact in size, which allows them to be transported around the room within the length of the connecting element and the chimney.
- High power. Although this indicator is higher for devices with direct heating, the power of indirect diesel guns is enough to heat a large space in a short time.
- Reliability. Such devices have a well-thought-out design, which minimizes the risk of fire, and also increases the durability of the guns.
- Availability of protection system. Many factory models have a protective system that automatically turns off the gun immediately after the room temperature reaches a predetermined value.
- Reduce the risk of burns. The products manufactured at the factory include heat-insulating gaskets that prevent heating of the case, which reduces the likelihood of injury to the user.
- Duration of work. On some models, large tanks are provided, which allows you to use them for a long time, without thinking about fuel.
The disadvantage of such designs can be considered a high noise level, especially for high power units.
Do-it-yourself diesel gun manufacturing
The unit running on diesel and diesel fuel, you can not only purchase in a special equipment store, but also do it yourself.
It is important to know that assembling that device is a rather complicated process. It is available only to experienced home craftsmen who can handle the welding machine and other sophisticated equipment.
Having decided on the creation of a diesel heat gun with your own hands, first of all, take up the choice of the model design. Indirect heating appliances have the best technical characteristics, but it is much more difficult to assemble them than devices with an open heat source.
Basic structural elements
To make a diesel device with your own hands, you need to take care of three components, each of which is an independent structure.
- Housing (casing) of the device for which a thick metal sheet or thick-walled pipe is required.
- The combustion chamber - galvanized or other thick-walled refractory pipe, the diameter of which is two times less than the same indicator of the casing.
- Fuel tankequipped with pump and filter. This element, usually located in the lower part of the housing, is made of a refractory material, which it is desirable to additionally cover with a heat insulator.
You will also need a fan with an impeller with a desired power of 220 watts. A similar part is necessary to create an air stream that, after flowing around the heated combustion chamber, will come out.
For the installation of a heat gun, you can use ready-made components or do with improvised material. In the first case, the cost of a home-made device will be higher, but its quality will be close to the factory one.
Before assembling a diesel gun, you need to prepare all the instruments and materials, and then carefully inspect them for possible defects.
From the pipe or sheet of metal (in the latter case, it should be rolled up and the edges joined), the casing of the device is made. Through a hole in the case inside it is mounted a fan, with which air from the room will be pumped into the interior of the device.
Strictly in the central part of the casing, the combustion chamber is installed and fixed, in the end of which the nozzle is fixed. The element is sealed on both sides, while it is necessary to make two technological holes in it: one for the chimney, the other for the nozzle.
For comfortable use and fire safety, it is advisable to mount a piezo ignition in the combustion chamber. For this, a factory version is suitable, which can be purchased in a specialized store.
The fuel tank of the required size and capacity is located below the housing. In the connected space, the high pressure fuel pump and the fuel fine filter must be fixed.
Using a dimmer, connect the fan to a household electrical outlet. A similar element allows you to adjust the temperature of the heated air without increasing fuel consumption.
It is also necessary to weld a flue pipe to the combustion chamber, where combustion products will be removed.
At the end, it is necessary to cover the ends of the device with a thick metal mesh (it is possible in two layers). This is necessary to ensure safety, since the temperature of the air mass at the outlet can exceed 250 degrees.
All connections must be performed very carefully, avoiding leaks, the consequences of which can be fatal. Before pouring diesel fuel into a tank designed for it, it is important to check all the components of the device well. If you are not confident in your knowledge, it is better to use the help of a specialist.
The advantage of homemade thermal diesel guns is their low cost, at the same time, their technical characteristics and ease of use are inferior to factory-assembled models.
Another disadvantage of such home-made products is the difficulty in determining the power of a heat gun made by yourself, because of which the device may not sufficiently or excessively heat the room.
What to use instead of homemade?
If you doubt your technical skills, consider purchasing a ready-made model of a diesel-powered generator.
Despite the rather high cost of such a unit, such a purchase is quite profitable: subject to the required operating rules, diesel heat guns are able to work for ten or more years. Below are the leading manufacturers of similar equipment.
Biemmedue: quality + Italian design
The Italian company, established in 1979, specializes in the production of heaters, generators, dehumidifiers and other heating equipment.
The products, in the assortment of which are presented both domestic and industrial models, are distinguished by durability, reliability and excellent quality.
The manufacturer pays attention not only to technical specifications, but also to design. All lines developed by specialists Biemmedue, differ in the compact size, mobility, esthetic appearance.
Master: a company with vast experience
An American company that has been manufacturing portable heating systems, including various types of heat guns, for more than half a century. For the manufacture and design of units used exclusively high quality material, so the company's products are characterized by high technical characteristics.
Thanks to innovative technologies that are used in the manufacture of models, heat guns have many useful additional options, for example, a flame control function or an emergency automatic shutdown in case of an unusual situation.
Kroll: innovative technology
Heating equipment produced by a well-known German company KrollIt is distinguished by a high level of assembly and the use of high quality materials, primarily stainless steel. In the production of products, including thermal diesel guns, the latest engineering and scientific developments are widely used.
Every year, interesting new products can be seen in the product range: for example, for the latest models of the company’s heat guns, the function of heating the heat is provided, thanks to which the devices can operate successfully even at low temperatures.
Safety precautions when using heat guns
Heat guns, especially home-made ones, belong to devices representing an increased fire hazard.
When using them, it is important to observe safety rules:
- It is necessary to exclude the presence of flammable and combustible substances in the vicinity of the heating device.
- It is strictly forbidden to direct the flow of hot air towards gas cylinders or containers with a flammable liquid (for example, gasoline).
- The body of a homemade gun made of metal is usually very hot during operation, because unlike factory models, they do not provide thermal insulation. To avoid troubles, it is better to provide a stable base in the structure that prevents the cylinder from rolling, as well as a handle that does not heat up when the device is operating.
- For ignition of the burner, it is better to use a piezo-lighter on a long handle or provide a built-in device.
- Before turning off the heat gun, it is advisable to let the fan idle for several minutes without supplying fuel. This will help cool the unit somewhat.
- Heat guns (especially direct heating) may only be used in well-ventilated rooms. In this case, preference should be given to forced ventilation.
- If the unit is horizontal, do not change its configuration.
- Do not plug in the appliance with wet hands.
In both home-made and factory models, it is important to periodically check the pipeline in order to notice a fuel leak in time.
Never leave the appliance unattended. It is undesirable to use a diesel heat gun in a room where children or pets are.
Our site has a block of articles devoted to the manufacture of heat guns for different types of fuel, we recommend that you read:
- Do-it-yourself heat gas gun: step-by-step assembly instructions
- DIY heat gun for used oil: step-by-step manufacturing instructions
- Do-it-yourself electric heat gun: the pros and cons of homemade + assembly instructions
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
In the presented video you can see the process of assembling a diesel burner and a gun using improvised materials.
Although there is nothing complicated in installing a diesel gun, such work requires accuracy and responsibility. Having thoroughly got down to business, it is possible in a short time to create an effective heating device that can be used not only in the garage, but also in other utility rooms.
With a well-made assembly and proper operation, a diesel heat gun will serve more than one season.
Do you have experience in the manufacture and operation of a thermal diesel gun? Please share information with our readers. You can leave comments, ask questions and attach photos of your homemade products in the form below.