Overview of the Rostock septic tank: device, lineup, advantages and disadvantages
Modern townspeople increasingly prefer to spend time in the summer cottage during the hot summer months. But this does not mean that people seek to abandon all their urban habits: a warm toilet, cold and hot water should be in the house. Do you agree?
For those who plan to equip an autonomous sewage system, the Rostock septic tank will be interesting, an overview of which we offer you. We will explain in detail how to choose a model that perfectly suits your needs. The article we proposed also details the installation rules.
The content of the article:
- Device and principle of operation
- Operation and maintenance
- Comparison of advantages and disadvantages
- Standard lineup
- Installation of a sewage treatment plant
- A few words about additional filtering of drains
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Device and principle of operation
The problem of autonomous heating and water supply was solved by summer residents long before they became interested in the possibility of arranging local sewage on their site.
With the solution of the latter problem, the appearance of septic tanks on sale is connected. These devices allow you to clean household waste water and are a key element of local sewage. "Rostock" is one of the most popular septic tank models.
Like most similar devices, the Rostock is quite simple. In fact, this is a single tank, divided into two chambers. One of the cameras is equipped with special filters. To better understand the device of this septic tank, we will understand the principle of its operation.
Initially, all drains through sewer pipes enter the first chamber. This happens by gravity. The inlet pipe through which the drains enter the septic tank is equipped with a quencher. It does not allow sediment accumulated at the bottom of the chamber to agitate.
The first chamber is a sump. In it, all drains are divided into fractions. Heavy fractions settle to the bottom of the chamber: subsequently they will be pumped out. Light fractions along with liquid effluents rise up. Deprived of heavy fractions, effluents are considered clarified.
So, the clarified drains, moving from the bottom up, fall into the next chamber. She, as we already mentioned, is equipped with filters. A mesh filter is used to delay large contaminants. The second filter is sorption. It is made of a special material - zeolite, the thickness of which reaches 20 cm.
When drains pass both filters, they are cleaned by 70-80%. Now they can be removed from the septic tank for tertiary treatment. This procedure is carried out using multilayer soil backfill or special biofilters.
With the general principles of the device and operation of septic tanks will introduce next article. The video located in the final section of our article will help you visualize the work of the cottage septic tank “Rostock”.
Operation and maintenance
A key element of the Rostock local treatment plant is easy to operate. The solid fractions accumulated in the first chamber should be periodically removed. This is usually done once a year, subject to year-round use of the device.
If operation is limited to the summer period, then the first chamber is cleaned once every two years. To solve this problem it is necessary to use a cesspool machine.
The sorption filter located in the second chamber is also reactivated approximately once a year. The zeolite layer is simply washed with a solution of ordinary table salt. Filters need to be changed at least once every 15 years.
To increase the efficiency of wastewater treatment, you can use special biological products. With their help, anaerobic processes occurring in this device become more intense. Colonies of bacteria contained in additives process organics in wastewater, resulting in a higher degree of purification.
Comparison of advantages and disadvantages
Choosing a septic tank, we, of course, are interested in its merits, not forgetting to ask about the shortcomings. After all, before buying it is necessary to weigh both that and another: the decision depends on what outweighs in each individual case. Therefore, we will talk about the pros and cons of the Rostok treatment plant.
We list the obvious advantages of the device.
- Strength and durability. The body of the product is made by a one-piece method: the cameras do not separate from one another. If you take into account the presence of stiffeners, you can be sure that this design will be durable and will last a long time.
- Unpretentiousness to service conditions. For the Rostock septic tank to work, it does not need to be connected to power. It turns out that it can be used in the area where there is no need to talk about developed infrastructure yet.
- Quality of work. This device provides a high degree of wastewater treatment. When biologically active preparations are added to Rostock, we can safely say that the effluents will be cleaned up to 92%.Oils and fat do not enter the second chamber of the tank at all.
- Easy installation. The device does not require special skills in the installation process and in bringing the septic tank to working condition. For this purpose it is not at all necessary to attract professionals: do it yourself.
- Reliability and security. The inlet pipe of the device is equipped with a damper, due to which even a sharp discharge of a significant amount of water into the sewer will not lead to water hammer.
Installation pleases with thorough design thoughtfulness. The device nozzles (inlet and outlet) are attached to the body using flexible elements, which allows them to remain unharmed even if the tank itself is moved during seasonal ground movements.
This device also has disadvantages:
- Light weight. The low weight of the device is a significant advantage in the process of its installation, which can also be a disadvantage, if we consider the risk of it “floating up” from the ground during periods of seasonal rise in groundwater. Although the Rostock shape does not contribute to this process, it is better to consider the possibility of installing a concrete base for fixing it.
- Site Employment. The dimensions of the septic tank "Rostock" cottage suggest that it will occupy about 4 m2 of land area. This zone cannot be planted with anything except grass and small shrubs. In this area, with the addition of a meter along its perimeter, it is impossible to equip a parking lot, since the septic tank can be accidentally pushed.
- Sewage expenses. Pumping out unfiltered waste should be done with the help of trash cans. This means that your budget should also include this expense item.
- Device location The “sprout" cannot be placed wherever it pleases. It is also necessary to take into account sanitary standards, and the fact that a sewage machine must drive up to it. So it should be near the road.
The disadvantages include the nuances of the design of the device: it does not provide for the possibility of a number of drains immediately into the second chamber.
But drains from the washing machine and dishwasher, which contain various detergents, should be poured here. This chemistry can destroy the beneficial bacteria that make up bioenzyme agents that are used in septic tanks.
As for the price of the device, then opinions differ. Therefore, we did not attribute this factor to either advantages or disadvantages. When you choose a septic tank for your summer cottage, then you decide how much this purchase matches your financial capabilities.
Speaking of “Rostock”, one cannot fail to mention that this name bears not one, but several devices. That is, there is a whole model range, the most popular and sought-after components of which we now consider.
Here is a list of Rostock septic tank models that are in high demand among consumers:
- Mini. The volume of this model is 1000 liters. During the day, it is able to treat approximately 0.3 cubic meters of wastewater. Septic "Mini" is designed for 1-2 users. It has a weight of 60 kg, dimensions 128x110 cm and a depth of 170 cm.
- Country. With a device volume of 1,500 liters, it cleans 0, 45 cubic meters of effluent per day. Septic "Country" is designed for 2-3 users. It has a weight of 100 kg, dimensions 170x112 cm and a depth of 184 cm.
- Country. The model has a volume of 2400 liters and is able to treat 0.88 cubic meters of waste water per day. The Zagorodny septic tank is designed for 4-5 users.It has a weight of 150 kg, dimensions 222x130.5 cm and a depth of 199.5 cm.
- Cottage. With a tank volume of 3000 liters, it daily purifies 1.15 cubic meters of effluent. Septic "Cottage" is designed for 5-6 users. It has a weight of 190 kg, dimensions 236x144 cm and a depth of 200 cm.
The inlet and outlet in each of the presented models have a diameter of 110 mm. From the top, the inlet is located at a distance of 80 cm, and the outlet is 85 cm.
Of course, this list cannot be considered exhaustive. Other models bearing the name "Rostock" are also sold. They can be additionally equipped with biofilters and other systems for the post-treatment of sewage water.
The prices of these septic tanks depend not only on the amount of treatment equipment that they are equipped with, but also on the performance of different models.
An example of a spread in prices is the recent quotation for the simplest septic tank, the Mini. On sale, this model was found at a price of 25-26 thousand rubles, while the "Cottage" model in the same time period cost 55 thousand rubles.
Features and selection criteria of a septic tank given here. We recommend that you read some very useful information.
Installation of a sewage treatment plant
One of the advantages of the Rostock treatment device is that you can install it yourself without spending money to pay for the services of involved specialists. With standard steps septic tank installation Introduces the material we recommend.
Installing and connecting a Rostock sewage treatment plant includes a number of standard steps:
Choosing a place for a septic tank
There are regulatory documents according to which a septic tank can be located near the house, but at a distance of no closer than five meters. This distance is considered optimal for several reasons.
The sewer pipe leading to the septic tank should be at an angle so that the drains move by gravity. Too long a distance will lead to the need to dig a septic tank too deep. In addition, the longer the sewer network entering the sewage treatment tank, the more likely it becomes clogged.
Regulatory documents, such as SNiP 2.04.03-85 and others, contain some restrictions regarding the location of the septic tank.
It should be located in a place located:
- 5 meters to the buildings;
- 50 meters to the source of water (well or well);
- 5 meters to the side of the road;
- 3 meters to the trees.
The direction of movement of groundwater is also taken into account: it should be carried out from the water source to the septic tank, and not vice versa. Practitioners believe that with this arrangement of the well, the septic tank can be located 30 meters from the source of water. There will be no deterioration in its quality. Fifty meters is the norm, which is not always possible to take into account, based on the actual size of the site.
Development of trenches and foundation pits
The drain pipe coming from the country house or cottage should be below the level of freezing of the soil. It is believed that for central Russia, the depth of the trench should be approximately 1.5 meters.
However, this indicator is individual and depends on the specific area. The proposed pipe slope should be 1:50 or 2 cm / meter. Such parameters should be considered when digging a supply trench.
There should be a sand cushion under the sewer pipe.
To install the septic tank itself, you should dig a pit. The parameters of the pit sole by 60 cm should exceed the corresponding dimensions of the bottom of the septic tank. It is desirable that the bottom of the pit be strictly horizontal. The permissible deviation is only 10 mm per meter.
For a discharge pipe, a trench should also be dug. Its optimal slope is 1: 100 or 1 cm per meter.
Installation of a sewage treatment plant
Polypropylene products are used as sewer pipes that discharge sewage into a septic tank. Choose products designed for pressureless outdoor networks. Their diameter should be 110 mm. Separate sections of the pipeline should be connected using couplings with rubber seals.
Similar pipes connect a septic tank and a filtration field. To insulate both pipelines, you can use foamed polyethylene or conventional expanded clay backfill.
The septic tank itself can be installed in various ways. The choice of the best option depends on what level underground water occurs under your site.
- With deep groundwater. It is enough to compact the bottom of the pit, and then lay a sand cushion on the bottom of the pit. Its thickness should be 10-30 cm. A polyethylene tank is installed on this pillow. Try to place it strictly in the center of the pit. The clearance between the ground and the tank should be approximately 30 cm.
- In case of high groundwater location. A reinforced concrete slab equipped with eyelets made of concrete-reinforcing reinforcement is laid on the bottom of the pit. To prevent the tank from “floating up”, it is tied to the plate with plastic straps.
If there are problems with the purchase of the slab, you can replace it with four standard curb stones. They will perfectly play the role of anchors.Another way out is independent concreting of the bottom of the pit.
The final stage of work
To sand surrounded the pipeline on all sides, when backfilling the trench pipes are manually filled with sand. And then the mine can already be filled with soil dumped during the formation of the pit.
Between the walls of the tank and the pit, either pure sand or a mixture of sand and cement are also covered. When preparing a mixture of 80% sand add 20% cement. Filling the gap should occur in layers. Each layer of 20-30 cm is carefully tamped.
Before you fill up the next layer of the mixture or sand, it is necessary to fill the septic tank with water level with the future layer. On top of all layers, a soil-vegetable layer is placed in the pit and trench.
A few words about additional filtering of drains
Usually, after the Rostock treatment device, biological or soil treatment systems are installed.
With a groundwater level of 1.2 meters and deeper and a sandy incoherent type of soil, it is used filter field. This is the name of the kit, which includes distribution and irrigation pipelines.
At a groundwater level of 1.5 meters or deeper, a set of Drainage Tunnels is used. Rostok biofilters can be used on any soil and at any level of groundwater. For additional cleaning and drainage after the septic tank, you can install absorption well.
When installing an additional filter, finished products are installed on a pillow of crushed stone with a thickness of 30 cm. The gap between the filter and the soil is filled with layers of crushed stone and sand, introduced alternately.
Filtering, it is also absorbing, the well can be built independently. To do this, install 2-3 on the same pillow of crushed stone reinforced concrete rings. With the function of the absorption well to successfully cope tire drain pitwhose device we recommend that you familiarize yourself with.
It is necessary to waterproof the resulting case, after which it is filled 100 cm in layers, first with sand, then with gravel or crushed stone. The fraction of each lower backfill layer should be less than the overlying one.
If the bottom ring of a well is buried in sandy soil that does not have good filtering qualities, then lateral drainage is arranged. To do this, either initially use a concrete ring with perforation, or drill holes for the drainage flow in the walls of the ring after installation in the pit.The diameter of the formed holes is 10 mm, the spacing is 5-10 cm.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
They say that it is better to see once than to read or hear. Therefore, as a clear demonstration of the principle of the septic tank "Rostock", we suggest you familiarize yourself with this video:
The following video will introduce you to the installation process of the septic tank. You will see the phased installation of an autonomous sewer "Rostock" model "Zagorodny" with the arrangement of the filtering field:
It is not true that the romance of suburban life must necessarily be accompanied by a rejection of urban goods. On the contrary, summer vacation in the country should be as comfortable as possible. Let you have cold and hot water, heat on a cool day and, of course, autonomous sewage, which allows you to dispose of waste water without harming the environment.
Have you also installed a Rostock septic tank at your summer cottage? Or neighbors took this option, but do you know all the technological details? Share them in the block below, please leave comments, ask questions, post photos on the topic.