Sealant for sewer pipes: types, manufacturers overview, which are better and why
The tightness of the sewer system is one of the basic conditions for the normal operation of this type of communications. The likelihood of leaks should be completely eliminated so as not to pose a threat to nearby networks, structures and the environment.
Sealant for sewer pipes will prevent leaks - the product is used both for internal and external works. How does it work and which one is better to choose? Agree, it's worth finding out.
So that you can find and purchase a suitable sealant, we will identify the options that are in demand and describe their specific use.
The article describes in detail the technologies for using sealing materials. There is a rating of manufacturers of the best products manufactured for the specified construction industry. Get familiar with the topic will help photo applications and video reviews.
The content of the article:
- The purpose of sealing system elements
- The main types of sealing materials
- 8 best sealant manufacturers
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
The purpose of sealing system elements
Sewerage is reliably sealed at the installation stage. During operation, the internal system is regularly inspected in order to detect and eliminate leaks in time.
Wastewater should not flow out, and nothing should enter the sewer itself from the outside, because this can disrupt its work and lead to serious damage.
Particular attention should be paid to pipe sealing, laid undergroundbecause they are much more difficult to repair if leaks occur. If the operation of the system is disrupted due to the ingress of groundwater into it, a lot of effort will have to be made to determine this.
Careful sealing during the construction phase of the sewer system prevents a number of problems:
- Leaks out. Once in the soil, wastewater can pollute the water in drinking wells and cause serious illness. Unpleasant sewer smell indoor is also dangerous, because decaying organic substances emit gases harmful to humans: hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, methane.
- Flooding of buildings and structures. With strong leaks, soil erosion is possible. Wastewater floods foundations, cellars, basements, basement floors. Due to the high content of chemically active substances, they accelerate the destruction of building materials, provoke corrosion.
- Leaks inside the system. If atmospheric or groundwater enters the system, the pressure in the pipeline increases. Due to the strong pressure of the sewage, the work of the pipes is disrupted, and the treatment or storage facilities may not cope with the additional load and fail.
- Joint leakage due to temperature changes. If the system was originally installed with high quality, the joints are reliable and do not leak even without additional sealing. However, processing is still necessary because temperature changes over time lead to a decrease in tightness.
For the installation of sewage systems use various kinds of pipes. A suitable sealant should be selected for each pipe material. Also, the choice depends on the installation technology and the intended use of each individual element of the system.
The main types of sealing materials
To seal sewer pipe connections, many different materials are used:
- sealing tapes;
- polymer sealants;
- technical sulfur;
- jute and hemp ropes;
- epoxy resin;
- Portland cement;
- mastics based on petroleum products;
- rubber cuffs.
Each sealing material has its own varieties, features, purpose and scope.
Option # 1: sealing tapes
Distinguish between ordinary and foil adhesive tapes. They are designed to seal the connections of water and sewer pipes and have unique properties. The composition of the tapes includes bitumen-polymer materials, so they are absolutely waterproof.
Depending on the range of operating temperatures, there are three main types of tapes:
- Summer (marked with the letter L in the marking). The tape can be used at temperatures up to + 300˚С. It is suitable for insulating pipelines through which hot liquids are pumped.
- Winter (marked with letter Z). The temperature range at which the material does not lose its sealing properties, from -200˚ to + 100˚С.
- Heat-resistant (the letter T in the marking indicates the properties). This tape is used to isolate pipelines through which liquids with a temperature of up to + 1500 ° C are pumped. At the same time, the ambient temperature can vary from -100 to + 300 ° C.
For sewer insulation indoor pipes summer or winter sealing tape is suitable, and for outdoor work it is better to choose a winter one.
The advantages of the material include the following properties:
- Lack of deformation. If the tape is applied correctly, no bubbles will appear underneath during operation.
- Dielectric properties. The tape protects against electrical voltage, which often becomes one of the causes of corrosion of metal pipelines.
- Resistance to all types of impacts. The material does not exfoliate, is distinguished by mechanical strength, resistance to chemicals, soil corrosion. It is so reliable that it can be used even when laying oil pipelines, so you can definitely be calm over the sewers.
The unique characteristics and strength of the sealing tapes allow them to be used at any temperature and in almost any condition.
The service life of the adhesive coating is at least 30 years. During this time, the tape does not lose its properties and retains one hundred percent tightness.
So that the material does not lose its properties for a long time, it must be correctly applied. The stage of surface preparation is very important. They are thoroughly cleaned of old coatings, degreased and dried.
It is necessary to monitor the uniformity and tension of the tape during wrapping the pipe and make wide overlaps equal to half the width of the material. If the tape is applied correctly, the surface will be coated with two protective layers.
Option # 2: polymer sealants
Silicone seals are most often used to process joints of sewer systems. Another option is polyurethane compounds. They are universal, suitable for sealing and gluing a wide variety of structures and elements.
Silicone sealants are indispensable for work in the bathroom - they are used for joint seals between the bathroom, shower, sink with wall.
The composition of silicone includes rubber, due to which the finished material is characterized by high elasticity and adhesion to any substrates. When using silicone sealants, primers do not need to be treated to improve adhesion.
The best solution is to buy a special silicone-based plumbing composition, choosing it taking into account the material and operating conditions of the system.
Depending on the composition of the hardener, two main types of silicone sealants are distinguished:
- Acidic. The main advantage of acid formulations is an affordable price with good quality. The disadvantages include a limited scope: sealants are not suitable for all surfaces and can enter into chemical reactions.
- Neutral. There are no acids in the composition of such sealants, so they do not destroy the pipes. This significantly expands the scope and makes the materials universal. Less - a higher cost than acidic formulations.
Silicone sealants are usually used to process joints of plastic and metal sewer pipes.After polymerization, they form dense elastic coatings resembling rubber. Due to their high elasticity, they tolerate loads well and do not crack.
Sealants are applied using mounting guns that squeeze the contents of the package. Joints are processed around the circumference. The line should be continuous so that there are no gaps. After applying the composition, the seam is carefully leveled with a special soft spatula or a wet gloved finger.
Repair of a punctured pipe using a compensating pipe, sleeve and sealant:
For the repair described above, instead of silicone sealant, you can use glue for PVC pipes.
Option # 3: technical sulfur
Technical sulfur is produced by refining petroleum products. It can be powder or lumpy and is sold in hardware stores. This is a good option for sealing joints of cast iron pipes. An additional plus is the low price.
Sulfur is crushed (if lumpy is purchased), heated to the melting temperature (about 130-150 ° C), and then poured into the space of the bell.
When the material hardens, it will turn into a dense waterproof mass. Its only drawback is low elasticity.
Option # 4: Portland cement
Portland cement is indispensable for many types of work. The composition of the material includes clinker, gypsum, calcium silicates. The dry mixture is diluted with water to obtain a thick solution. It quickly solidifies, forming a high-strength frost-resistant and water-repellent monolith.
Special additives are added to the cement mixture to increase its elasticity - this allows you to reliably seal the joints of the pipeline. The material is resistant to temperatures, tolerates freezing-freezing, therefore it is successfully used when arranging the outdoor cast iron sewer.
Option # 5: Epoxy
Epoxy resin is a universal adhesive that can help out during the installation of sewers. To prepare the sealant, the epoxy resin is mixed with a hardener. The proportions depend on the brand of material and are indicated in the instructions for use.
When mixing the resin and hardener, it is important to strictly follow the manufacturer's recommendations, otherwise the setting time of the composition and the operational properties of the finished coating may change.
Option # 6: bitumen mastics
Sockets of ceramic pipes are often filled with bitumen materials. Bitumen-rubber, bitumen-polymer mastics have proven themselves excellently. According to the type of application, they are divided into cold and hot.
For sealing pipes, it is better to use cold-applied compositions, as they are much easier to use, and the work itself is safer. The only drawback of such sealants for sewer pipes is that they are somewhat more expensive.
Option # 7: jute and hemp ropes
For sealing joints of cast iron and ceramic sewer pipes, hemp and jute ropes, a resin strand are traditionally used. These are cheap and easy-to-use materials, however, in their technical and operational properties, they are significantly inferior to modern sealants.
For sewer pipes, it is better to use sanitary silicone or polyurethane sealants. Their quality and durability can vary greatly depending on the manufacturer, so pay attention to brands and choose the most reliable.
Option # 8: Sealing Cuffs
Durable cuffs made of thick technical rubber are used to protect the joints between the casing and the working pipe. They are applicable for pipelines of various types - technological, sewer, drainpipes. The diameter of the products is from 2.5 cm to 2 m.
There are various types of cuffs. The most common are TM, that is, heat-shrinkable, coated with an adhesive layer inside. To make the transition airtight, the rubber is heated. She contracts and tightly clings to the pipes, while sticking to them.
In addition to TM cuffs, there are detachable MR and one-piece MGs that are not glued with a building hair dryer, but are fixed with metal clamps.
8 best sealant manufacturers
Brand Sealants Ceresit and Moment out of competition. They are reliable, durable, highly elastic and adhere to any surfaces. If there is an opportunity to purchase the compositions of these brands, do not hesitate, because You will pay not just “for the name”, but for the real quality.
There are 6 more brands that produce decent products:
- Ciki fix. Under this brand, they produce high-quality transparent sealants that are perfect for metal and ceramic pipes. The finished coating is resistant to detergents, solvents.
- Belinka. These are popular single component formulations for sealing joints and joints. They are resistant to negative influences, durable and flexible.
- Tytan. The Tytan brand produces quality silicone-based sanitary sealants. If you need a high-strength seam, you should give preference to Tytan Professional polyurethane composition.
- Krass. Under the Krass brand, quick-hardening, one-component sealants are produced, which, after hardening, form dense joints that do not shrink.
- S 400. A distinctive feature of sealants of this brand is the increased biological stability. The composition includes a large number of fungicides that prevent the appearance of fungus and mold on the seams.
- Dow corning. Sealants of this brand fasten surfaces so firmly that they are used as glue. They are thicker than the compositions of other brands, penetrate deeply into the seams and joints.
Sometimes sealants are subject to increased requirements for any individual performance characteristics. In such cases, it makes sense to carefully study the descriptions of the manufacturers and consult with sellers.
For example, the best sealant for rooms with increased fire hazard - a universal composition Krass; for complex connections - "The moment of Herment"; for ceramic pipes - Belinka Belsil Sanitary Acetate; and for rooms with constant high humidity - Ceresit cs 25 or S 400.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
In the process of sealing a sewer system, many questions arise. We offer videos that will help to cope with difficulties and independently perform all the work.
Instructions for sealing sewer pipes with silicone sealant:
We offer video tutorials on how to mix epoxy and hardener properly:
Do-it-yourself video tutorial on sealing a bell of a cast-iron external sewage system:
Detailed instructions for sealing a socket of sewer pipes when switching from cast iron to plastic:
Whatever type of sealant for sewer pipes you choose, you need to carefully prepare the surfaces and perform quality work. There should be no cracks or fistulas on the pipes. Before sealing, they are cleaned, repaired, degreased.
When working, you should strictly adhere to the technology, and after its completion, wait for the set time until the composition hardens. Only then can the system be operated as usual.
Have experience in sealing sewer pipes? Please share information with our readers, suggest your own method for resolving the issue. You can leave comments in the form below.