Is it possible to keep a gas cylinder in an apartment: rules and regulations for the use of balloon gas
Explosions of gas cylinders in high-rise buildings and private houses have one reason - non-compliance with storage and use rules. All requirements are spelled out and legally approved. Nevertheless, doubts remain: whether it is possible to keep a gas cylinder in an apartment, how to install it correctly and who should control all of this are common questions of users.
Let's figure it out together how to store and use gas cylinders correctly, and also find out the main mistakes that users make when installing equipment.
The content of the article:
- What does the law say?
- Where to buy and refuel?
- The intricacies of the location of the cylinder in the apartment
- Some expert advice
- Rules for storing empty containers
- Gas Leak Procedure
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
What does the law say?
The latest correction of the decree No. 390 “On the fire-fighting regime” (dated April 25, 2012) is dated March 7, 2019.
The new version states that:
- it is forbidden to store flammable gas containers in houses and apartments, in stairwells and basements, on balconies and attics;
- each cylinder should be located in a special extension - a cabinet, locked and equipped with a warning sign “Flammable. Gas".
The exception is five-liter containers, already connected to the stove and actively used. At the same time, the stove must be of factory origin, the operation of improvised / modernized copies is not allowed.
Where to buy and refuel?
The capacity itself can be purchased at hardware stores, on specialized online portals. Replace or fill it with municipal gas services. If the consumer plans to independently deliver gas to his home, the seller must give comprehensive instructions for the transportation, installation and inspection of equipment.
We also recommend that you read our other article, where we spoke in detail about the technical requirements for gas cylinders and the technology of their filling. More details - go to the link.
People who have successfully completed the briefing are given memos for all stages of handling equipment and a certificate for the smooth replacement of empty containers in the future.
The main difference between the models available today is the design of the locking device. On earlier products, a valve can be seen.
Modern products are equipped valve. According to the professional gas industry, the valve is more convenient and safe for operation in everyday life. A valve device is better to give preference to long-term storage.
The intricacies of the location of the cylinder in the apartment
The answer to the question whether it is possible to store a gas cylinder in an apartment is definitely negative. And placement for connection is possible.
It is important to follow the rules:
- The distance between the stove and the fuel tank cannot be less than 100 cm. The exception is shielded versions that allow installation at a distance of 50 cm.
- From any source of heat, the gas tank should be referred to a meter or more.
- Be sure to maintain free access to all locking devices - valves and taps.
The above standards apply to the placement of old, already used equipment. You can not store it in the apartment. But if for some period of time this cannot be avoided, then it is worth remembering the rules.
Better if the installation and replacement of the tank will be carried out by certified gas service specialists.
This will avoid the main mistakes:
- start installation without checking the tightness of the tank valve on the street;
- work in a closed, unventilated room;
- deviations from the vertical position;
- using the wrong tool.
Leak test is performed outdoors. Soap solution is applied to the place where the stem exits the valve. Then the transport safety lock (cap) is removed and the fitting hole is soaped. Bubbles that have appeared are a good reason to refuse to use equipment.
Some expert advice
The installation algorithm is the same for all stoves and hobs designed to work with gas.
After preparing the tool and components, it is necessary:
- Connect the plate inlet to the fitting. To seal the connection, you can use FUM- tape or special gaskets.
- Connect the hose to the fitting. Pay attention to the presence of the O-ring on the inside of the nut. And for sealing the threaded connection, you can use a sealing tape.
- Connect the gear nut to the valve. Since the plates are equipped with nozzles designed for constant pressure, it is recommended to use a gearbox. It normalizes pressure, decreasing as it is spent.
- Attach a rubber hose to the gearbox and secure with a hose clamp.
Before switching on, a density check of all connections is required. If at least one of them demonstrates defective tightness, it is unacceptable to use gas. It is necessary to reassemble.
A more detailed instructions on connecting a gas cylinder to the stove, read in this stuff.
Rules for using equipment
Unfortunately, the rules for using gas cylinders in apartment buildings are based on sad experience. All of them are designed to warn against the repetition of tragedies that have already happened.
- allow heating of the tank;
- cover the container with a cloth, any materials that do not allow air to pass, creating a greenhouse effect;
- repair the valve or threaded connections yourself;
- eliminate the causes of difficulties in opening the valve without the help of specialists. In this case, the call of the gas team is recommended;
- allow children, as well as adults with mental disorders, memory, to use the stove without supervision by competent adults;
- leave equipment unattended when turned on.
Failure to comply with the rules for using the equipment can result in serious tragedy, for example, gas bottle explosion. Therefore, before each ignition, the user must ensure that there is no smell of gas. Having felt once, it is easy to distinguish it from other smells. It is advisable to teach to distinguish the smell of gas and children living in the apartment.
Then follow the developed algorithm:
- Check plate taps - they must be locked in place.
- Unscrew cylinder valve.
- Bring a household lighter or match to the burner.
- Move the faucet of the desired cooking zone to the open position.
If a strong flash is formed at the first start-up, it is necessary to tighten the container with gas tightly and call the emergency team. Intense ignition is a sign of tank overflow. In this case, operation is prohibited.
Since the room where gas appliances are used should be regularly ventilated, it is necessary to monitor the access of fresh air.
And one more rule that will help to avoid annoying consequences. At the end of cooking, the first stage turns off the valve of the tank with fuel, and then the cranes of the stove. Following this rule excludes leaving the equipment open.
Cause for concern
Often during cooking there are situations associated with low-quality fuel or equipment malfunction.
To properly respond to them, you should know the signs of incorrect operation:
- Red color of the flame emanating from the burner. The main reason is a lack of oxygen (fuel does not burn out completely), which can be leveled by simple ventilation. Also a source of trouble in this case may be poor fuel quality.
- The appearance of soot. A sure sign that the outlet pressure significantly exceeds the permissible norm. The problem is solved by replacing the jets.
- Whistling, noise, hum coming from the stove at the moment of switching on. As a rule, extraneous sounds appear due to a strong clogging of nozzles. If everything is OK with them, you need to reduce the pressure on the gearbox.
If you can deal with simple troubles on your own, then to solve more complex situations it will not be superfluous to turn to professionals.
For example, if a neighbor installed a fuel tank in an apartment and ignored safety requirements, this situation should not be hushed up. Monitoring the use of such equipment is carried out by specialized services of municipalities. However, practice shows that access to such services is not always characterized by their quick response.
Lawyers suggest a more effective way. If a citizen living nearby, in an apartment located in the entrance / building, does not observe safety precautions when handling explosives and does not heed admonitions, dial “112”. All calls to this number are recorded. Therefore, the reaction to them is more dynamic.
Depending on the nature of the violations, experts will send representatives of the police, fire department or gas service to the address.The site will verify the legality of the installation, the technical condition of the equipment and compliance with the conditions of safe operation.
Rules for storing empty containers
The relation to the empty container should be exactly the same as to the just filled one. Store empty containers tightly closed in a separate room. Consequently, an apartment for storing gas cylinders, even if already used, is not suitable.
The old tank cannot:
- open, saw, chop;
- use for the manufacture of explosive devices, including for peaceful domestic or construction purposes;
- independently get rid of the remaining gas;
- Scrap metal without proper treatment.
Used equipment should be returned to a specialist service point for inspection or replacement.
Checking gas cylinders
Each container is equipped with a stamp or metal "passport", which indicates the expiration date, storage and crimping. Pressure testing is a validation test. During this inspection, experts unscrew the valve and inspect the inner surface.
If the walls are in order, there are no visible damages on them, the tank is filled with water and subjected to pressure testing: pressure is pumped up, one and a half times higher than the operating values.
The capacity remaining intact after such an event is “awarded” with an updated brand and is allowed for further operation.
External signs of faulty equipment
Any user can independently determine the unsuitability of the tank by external signs:
- the presence of rust - are not subject to further use of the product, more than a third of the surface of which is occupied by corrosion;
- the presence of traces of exposure to fire - a spoiled layer of paint;
- swelling - barrel-shaped specimens with a distorted shape;
- the presence of dents.
All these signs are the reason for the speedy disposal. Another good reason - the expiration of the storage period information about which is displayed on the mark.
Gas Leak Procedure
If there is a clear gas smell, it is recommended to tighten the cylinder valve, turn off the stove and open the windows. For intensive ventilation, you can open windows not only in the kitchen, but also in other rooms of the apartment. A high concentration of the substance in the air is an occasion to seek the help of specialists, to call representatives of the municipal gas service to the house.
It is forbidden to use lighters and matches, to smoke, to turn on the stove. Prior to eliminating the leak, do not use devices that require an electrical connection. Before the brigade arrives, all residents of the apartment (including animals) must leave the premises.
To avoid poisoning and the more tragic consequences of leakage, you can use special sensors or gas monitoring kits. Equipped with light and sound alarms, these devices will inform about the problem until a tangible smell appears.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Summing up, it can be argued that it is forbidden to store gas cylinders in an ordinary apartment. Allowed to use 5-liter tanks connected to a stove of factory origin. It is important to observe the distances indicated in the requirements and always monitor the operation of the equipment.
The hob shows how to connect a gas cylinder. Please note - at the end of the work, the tightness of the joints is checked:
You can provide interesting information on the topic, ask specialists a question, share experience or participate in the discussion of this material - the communication block is located under the article.