How to paint a gas stove at home: the subtleties of choosing a paint + painting instructions
Many owners of old household appliances, from time to time, think about whether it is possible to give the device a second life. Over time, the old surface becomes unusable, for various reasons, the paint begins to crack and peel off, moisture gets into the cracks, after which the iron rusts. Why not restore workable equipment, agree? But how to do it and what materials may be needed?
In this article we will talk about how to paint a gas stove at home and what kind of paint will work for this purpose. We will also tell you how to prepare the surface for applying paint and the best way to restore the grill.
The content of the article:
- Features of the surface and enamel for painting
- Positive and negative properties of enamel
- Paint selection and application methods
- Procedure for painting
- Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Features of the surface and enamel for painting
In order to paint the surface of the plate, you do not need to have special knowledge, it is enough to have basic information and take into account some features when painting yourself. But it is worth considering the fact that ordinary enamel is not suitable for painting the surface of a gas stove, since when exposed to high temperature, such a paint very quickly deteriorates and peels off.
You can paint the plate at the place of its installation, but, nevertheless, it is desirable temporarily turn off the device from the gas supply network.
To begin with, we will deal with the type of surface of gas stoves. So, most often, in the manufacture of gas appliances, use alloyed stainless steel. The metal has a high degree of resistance to high temperatures.
Such a surface is painted with special enamel to protect the coating from corrosion and give the gas appliance a beautiful appearance.
Simple enamel or acrylic paint is not suitable for painting the surface of a gas stove. Since when exposed to high temperature, it will melt and burn.
Paint for the surface of the gas stove should be resistant to high temperatures and other destructive factors.
As a rule, enamels with the following properties are used for painting:
- Internal stability. Such enamels can withstand high temperatures and are not destroyed under conditions of high acidity.
- External stability. Such protection is intended to protect a metal surface; enamel protects both from thermal loads and from chemical processes.
Such characteristics are necessary for long-term use of a gas device in aggressive conditions.
To achieve the necessary level of stability, enamel for the restoration of a gas stove must include the following elements:
- quartz sand;
All these elements form a transparent mixture, in which you need to add some more components.
In order to obtain the most effective paint for devices that are subject to high temperatures, the following elements are additionally added during production:
- alkaline elements;
All this composition forms a high-quality paint with high resistance to aggressive factors and gives a beautiful shine to the painted surface.
It is worth noting that enamels with the addition of cobalt and nickel oxides have better adhesion to the painted element. Such paint can be applied even to unprocessed primer surfaces.
Positive and negative properties of enamel
Before proceeding with restoration work, you need to find out all the positive and negative sides of the enamel coating.
Let's look at what are the pros and cons of the enameled surface of a gas stove:
- high degree of resistance to high temperature;
- variety of color performance;
- reasonable cost of paint;
- protection against various pollution.
All these advantages allow using this type of coating for a gas stove with confidence.
But, despite all the positive qualities of the material, it is worth paying attention to the shortcomings.
Among them, the most significant are the following:
- Often there are problems with cleaning the surface of carbon deposits.
- Weak resistance to mechanical stress - the material is very fragile, so there is a high probability of chips on the surface.
In general, such a coating is very reliable, it retains color saturation and initial shine for a long time.
Paint selection and application methods
During the operation of the stove, minor damage, scratches, cracks form on the surface, where fat, dust, accidentally spilled soup or coffee get clogged. Thus, the metal surface is exposed and can quickly deteriorate.
If the coating of your gas stove is in disrepair, do not be upset and think about buying a new stove. If it is immediately painted, it will look like new.
First of all, you need to pay attention to the choice of paint, which must meet the operating conditions. So, the material must withstand high temperatures, so you need to use heat-resistant paint. Therefore, when choosing, pay attention to heat resistant paint - It can withstand high temperatures, up to 1000 degrees. This will be quite enough for a gas stove.
Painting the surface of an old gas stove can be done by applying heat-resistant paint with a brush or spray gun. The second method of applying paint is the most effective. You can also use a spray can with heat-resistant material.
To effectively apply a coat of paint to the surface of a gas stove, it is best to use spraying method. To do this, you can use a spray gun, but it is more rational to buy paint in cans, since the staining area is not so large.
Using the spraying method, you can significantly reduce paint consumption and evenly apply a layer - it will be more reliable and beautiful.
Procedure for painting
In order to qualitatively repaint the stove, you need to have some knowledge, and also follow the instructions. Process disruption can produce poor results after completion of work.
Stage # 1 - preparation of materials
If you decide to paint the gas stove with your own hands, then you will need the following materials and tools: surface degreasing liquid, heat-resistant paint, stationery knife or scissors, masking tape.
Stage # 2 - cleaning and surface preparation
Before proceeding with the restoration of the surface, it is necessary to inspect it well. If there are deep chips and cracks on the gas stove, then it is recommended to remove the entire layer of old paint and thoroughly clean the entire surface. If the paint is not damaged, then it is enough to degrease the coating for further painting.
In order to remove old paint, you can use a metal brush, or using a nozzle with a metal bristle for a drill.
You can also use special chemicals to remove old paint, but it is ineffective and expensive. To remove old paint, it is best in the open air, as small particles of dust will fly around the room, and settle on furniture and other surfaces.
When the paint layer is cleaned, preparatory work should be carried out:
- Any surface must be degreased and remove all dirt and stains to achieve maximum adhesion of the paint to the surface of the plate. If this is not done, then in the places of contamination, peeling of the new layer may occur and the process of destruction of the metal base of the equipment may begin.
- Need to close the gas burners before applying the paint. So the paint will not get into the nozzle holes, otherwise jets will have to be changed or clean. It is also necessary to cover furniture and other elements with paper or polyethylene, so as not to stain them during operation.
- You can use masking tape to give clear contours after painting the surface, if you intend to perform restoration in two colors.
When surface preparation is complete, you need to shake the spray can thoroughly. This must be done before proceeding with the painting of the gas stove. That will allow to achieve uniform application of paint and increase the efficiency of its distribution.
Stage # 3 - spray application
The following is a detailed instruction, following which you can perform the highest quality staining of the old gas appliance.
Work execution order:
- Provide good ventilation. It should be understood that the composition of the paint includes chemicals that can harm your body. Therefore, it is necessary to paint the gas stove in a well-ventilated room or in the open air. Otherwise, you can get poisoning or more serious health problems.
- Apply the first coat of paint. When spraying paint, the can should be kept at a distance of about 20 centimeters from the coating, but when applying several colors, the distance must be reduced to 10 centimeters, near the color border. This is necessary to achieve the most even contour and increased color saturation.
- Apply a second coat of paint after 5 minutes. As soon as the first coat of paint has been applied, after 5 minutes you should start applying a second coat. This will help prevent the appearance of old spots, and also give the surface a more saturated color. In addition, the additional application of paint increases all the protective properties, including heat resistance.
Following these algorithms, you can independently carry out the restoration of the gas stove. Thus, your device will maintain a beautiful appearance, and you will not need to spend a lot of money on the purchase of expensive gas equipment.
By the way, after painting the plate, you can at the same time update and gas pipepainting her with fresh paint.
Stage # 4 - painting the gas grill
In order to complete the restoration of the stove, we will figure out how to paint the grill of a household gas stove. Indeed, equipment cannot be dispensed with updating this element.
The grill can be painted using the same heat-resistant paint. But, as a rule, they are not painted. Typically, the grilles are made of cast iron, and this metal has a high degree of resistance to aggressive factors. Therefore, it is simple enough to remove carbon deposits mechanically or using a gas burner.
In another article on our website, we examined the best ways to cope at home with grating pollutionmade from various materials.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Next, watch a video about the properties of heat-resistant paint in cans:
The process of surface restoration is not a difficult task, but still requires certain efforts and costs. If you do everything according to technology, then you can achieve a good result. That will improve the operational properties of the working surface of the gas stove. And also give it a beautiful appearance, thereby saving money on the purchase of new equipment.
But independent restoration can not always bring the expected result. Therefore, if you are not sure that you can cope with such a task, then it's time to turn to professionals who know their job and can do the job quickly and efficiently.
Have you recently painted an old stove with your own hands? Share the photo of the finished work in the comment block, tell us what paint you purchased for these purposes. Write your recommendations, participate in discussions on the feasibility of painting the surface, answer questions from other users if you have already encountered a similar question.